Automagic to remove SMS and Call log features in update

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

anuraag

Re: Automagic to remove SMS and Call log features in update

Post by anuraag » 11 Feb 2020 03:31

@Martin is there any update regarding this? I have checked other automation app and they can use call and sms permissions.

Edit: see this recent post by joao
https://www.reddit.com/r/tasker/comment ... ogle_play/

Martin

Post by Martin » 16 Feb 2020 20:14

Automagic can use most permissions too, only the permission to read the SMS database was not granted so only trigger SMS Sent is affected. I'm currently not in the mood of attempting to get this permission again since it could lead to the removal of Automagic from Google Play.

Regards,
Martin

anuraag

Post by anuraag » 16 Feb 2020 22:46

Isn't without read sms database permission action Query Content Provider also breaks? I use that option to query sms and call logs remotely.

Martin

Post by Martin » 19 Feb 2020 19:49

Sure, the same permission is also used to query the sms content provider by action Query Content Provider. Risking the removal of the entire app is currently not an option.

anuraag

Post by anuraag » 21 Feb 2020 03:40

I hope you will provide a solution through a plugin or getting permission from Google in future.

hmast

Post by hmast » 25 Feb 2020 09:18

Yea it's a bummer because Joao does figure out ways. I see the concern but it's another reason for me to skip jumping over from Tasker to Automagic. It's like something needs to be done and it is not done. Maybe the rewards are not good enough to go through the work to figure it out, other things more important and so forth...
Possible=ISeeAWay, Impossible=IDontSeeNow, ImpossibleButImportant=WeNeedToFindAWay

hmast

Post by hmast » 21 Mar 2020 13:04

I wonder if profit from the app by keeping it in Google store is actually worth to keep the app private. By making the app open source there are bigger rewards both for users and for you as developer. Why is this? Because if you'll Google around for open-source alternatives to Tasker, you'll see there is some need for open-source for this one. Automagic is some ways even better than Tasker and making it open source would really convince many to switch over. If it would become open-source, I'd personally be going into doing some of the things you think are not worth doing because it taking a lot of time to do. As for your personal benefits for you and your companies, you'd be recognized as founder of this endeavor and should actually come out more profitable in terms of clients and other products you can sell to, by making it open-source in order to building a community around you and your reputation, for your personal benefits, and for user benefits because it will help to develop it further much faster.
Possible=ISeeAWay, Impossible=IDontSeeNow, ImpossibleButImportant=WeNeedToFindAWay