Ram accumulated

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

Lucy

Ram accumulated

Post by Lucy » 24 Jan 2020 04:29

Hey.. i rarely reboot my phone.. like weeks on end before a reboot. As you could imagine the phone becomes sluggish so in order to keep it alive and running optimally i perform weekly "fast reboots" i simply force stop certain processes and services then restart them. This has worked a treat for me to keep the phone in a powered on state. The reason i do this is because i run an almost continuous server from my phone. However automagic over time accumulates an abundance in ram. If i force stop the service by automated flow like everything else... when it restarts, it is broken and will not see my flows, glovars, etc. Is there a way (by automation) to safely stop and restart the service (without controlling ui)?

Micky Micky

Re: Ram accumulated

Post by Micky Micky » 25 Jan 2020 07:47

Hello

I am of the understanding that Android manages RAM automatically. You seem to be replicating that.

I'd be interested to hear other people's views.

Good luck
Crude but it works.

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 25 Jan 2020 15:43

Never try to kill system process or other critical function in order to simulate soft reboot. I do that twice and lost all my widgets action twice too. Automagic seems to hook on some system processes and when they got killed, some automagic's component got killed as well.

Better schedule restart the phone at the time that it is not in heavy use. It will be 30-120 seconds downtime (depends on your phone).
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

Lucy

Post by Lucy » 27 Jan 2020 17:23

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Yeah that downtime... add another couple minutes to that for my phone. I dont use my phone like it is intended. I utilize the computer side of it more than the phone itself (hence why i run servers) i normally run everything on my phone through bash with extensive repositories added. However i do also like the visual graphics side so i often find myself back in androids system (this is when automagic shines for me cause it runs well whilst i am using linux and not compromised in any way with recourses when switching)
A soft reboot is the ONLY option in most cases so i go through my extensive list of apps, services, system apps, etc and select the main culprits for locking the ram when it should be released. Android is not designed to handle my computing unfortunately. Well not this phone anyway (or any other i have used) i am 100% aware of system instabilities when altering the state of system processes and services and do my very best to avoid them. Typically it is third party apps that have been poorly coded id suppose that causes issues but these apps are essential for the way i compute. Anyway with a full reboot.. other than the longer reboot time, servers and other services need more time to allocate recourses, etc. It truly is a much longer down time for reboot. People never seem to grasp my explaining when i tell them that i use my phone like a pc until they see it in action. A lot of scanning and monitoring takes place behind the curtains also (mostly brute force attack preventive codes, net diagnostics blocks, etc) i truly do use a lot of high end repositories that are designed for a powerful linux server.
A soft reboot with careful consideration of running services is my only choice if i want to keep the uptime and not have to do a lot more configuring for initial startups on servers.

Anyway, judging from your response im guessing the short answer to my question is a "no" especially if it hooks in system processes.
Its ok lol i can handle physically switching off/on service on this automated appπŸ˜‚ whilst it handles the rest for me automatically. πŸ€ͺπŸ˜‚
Thanks a million for your valuable input

Wibbly

Post by Wibbly » 27 Jan 2020 17:32

Lucy wrote: ↑
24 Jan 2020 04:29
However automagic over time accumulates an abundance in ram.
So if you're saying Automagic has a memory leak, maybe you should report that with evidence to Martin so he can perhaps fix it?

Lucy

Post by Lucy » 27 Jan 2020 17:39

Nonono... NO
I am not stating that at all!!
All i am saying (which everyone already knows) is that over long durations apps do misbehave in some form or another (mainly when hooked in with other processes).
I was just wanting to know (which i got the answer for) if i could include automagic service in a soft reboot with my scripts.
There is NO ISSUES WITH THE APP THAT I AM TRYING TO ADDRESS HERE. NO MEMORY LEAK THAT I AM AWARE OF. I guess i just dont know how to explain myself😞

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 28 Jan 2020 18:38

@Lucy : I understand that you prefer to use phone, as it is low power. Using current mid class phone, SD710 with enough RAM, it only consume about 20-80 mA at idle, using only less than 0,5 Watt. Even running full CPU speed at lowest brightness only crank that up to 400 mA, using only 2 Watt. Use it for day long, you only take 48 wh. Using PC for 1 hour, and you need the same amount of power for the phone to run 1 day. So phone is much more efficient. There are other options such as raspberry or arduino, but less configurable and much more difficult to work with, when you have the flexibility of Automagic if you use android instead. I would also go android route easily.

If you use your phone as server, you probably want to use the one with high RAM. Depends on your location, nowadays, $200-250 can give phone with 6-8 GB RAM with 128 GB internal. It should be very powerful already for your low power server. While this seems to be not a direct solution to optimize current device, sometimes it is just faster to buy new device if you really need it. You can reboot the phone maybe only once a month then.

I also have the project that I never started. To use my old phone as the command center. I then send the command via whatsapp. So even though I have no Public IP, I still can call back home via Whatsapp. It is already end to end encryption and I only need to pass some string as the command. I can then query many things as if I am at home.
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

Lucy

Post by Lucy » 30 Jan 2020 04:10

πŸ˜‚ my darling.. you got it in one shot there😬 lol always coming to play prepared with the right gear you are☝️.
An upgrade is what i need (desperately) however it has to wait so i got to deal with what i have.
And yes you are right again about low powered consumption.. i switched to phone in symbian era when i realized its native linux running the show! I thought, hey... if i can bypass phones interface and use the actual code, can do everything that i do on pc with a remote pocket sized device that can be easily moved from locations. And wala... it is as isπŸ˜‚ so as time changed and android moving in, it just became easier and more efficient. Hardware is always on the up. Googles security has no effect whatsoever when using the phone Directly also so limitations are only to what my hardware can handle (which is pretty much what you pointed out)😊

Lucy

Post by Lucy » 30 Jan 2020 08:22

If i run android graphically.. lol i cant help but overload just to get all the info i like to stay updated on. Widgets are i big drainer. My automagic widget on the bottom right corner takes in a lot of info so it utilizess a lot of ram
20200130_191845.jpg
20200130_191845.jpg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 16860 times
Not to mention my second page with my server widgets and commanders

Lol desperate need of an upgrade

Micky Micky

Post by Micky Micky » 30 Jan 2020 11:04

Wow!
Crude but it works.