SMS Speech Output (Android Wear)

General discussions about Automagic and automation in general

Moderator: Martin

Rick

SMS Speech Output (Android Wear)

Post by Rick » 08 May 2019 16:31

Hi,

Sorry if this has already been covered, I searched the forum and couldn't find anything that helped with this one.

So what I am trying to achieve is, when connected to my car's Bluetooth, that triggers a flow that then turns any SMS received by my phone from text to speech, then directs the speech output from the phone to my android wear watch, reading it aloud through my watch's speaker while I'm driving.

I have seen on the forum similar to this being achieved with SMS being read through a cars audio when connected to BT, however I have tried to adapt this flow and can't seem to get it to work through my android wear device, my main problem here is redirecting the audio to be read out loud by the watch, the rest I'm sure I can do.

As a side note, The watch (Huawei Watch 2) can already achieve this natively for calls, so I would presume the capability is already there to do the same for SMS, I just can't figure out how to piece it together functionally.

Also might be worth mentioning that I have the Huawei P20 Pro, so I can have multiple Bluetooth devices connected to my phone at the same time, so when I receive a call I have the choice to answer it on my watch or through the car, so I wouldn't imagine it being connected to the car at the same time being an issue (or maybe it is?).

Thanks in advance

Desmanto

Re: SMS Speech Output (Android Wear)

Post by Desmanto » 08 May 2019 18:42

It is possible, but currently Automagic doesn't have the action to redirect the sound to the wearOS. Maybe we need additional action
Sound (Android Wear)
Speech Output (Android Wear)
including its variant : Seek Action Sound (Android Wear) and Stop Action Sound (Android Wear)

Start/Stop Recording Audio (Android Wear) might seems to be a good idea to request too.
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

Rick

Re: SMS Speech Output (Android Wear)

Post by Rick » 10 May 2019 07:05

Ah ok i see, well thank you for your response Desmanto.
The suggestions you have made for additional functionality, (if possible) sound very useful features for more than just the idea mentioned above.

Thanks again for the info and quick response.