Simple Desktop Editor

Post your feature requets for new triggers, conditions, actions and other improvements.

Moderator: Martin

hmast

Simple Desktop Editor

Post by hmast » 23 Apr 2019 11:32

Good enough if at least looks and feels the same for drawing out the logic. Way to import it would be great also then, but just to have the desktop version to create the maps... Maybe could be a way to attract new users too, as those who use data-flow/action diagrams software to sketch out ideas, as it would be just that. But with hidden benefit for those who initially simply choose to take it as for making flow charts. Basically add the same look and feel and easy navigation and the list of items as it is in the app, and preferably, to be able to import to Automagic then.
Possible=ISeeAWay, Impossible=IDontSeeNow, ImpossibleButImportant=WeNeedToFindAWay

Desmanto

Re: Simple Desktop Editor

Post by Desmanto » 23 Apr 2019 11:41

It will require recreating from the ground, don't know when it will happen.

I used to use the vbox method. But now I simply use scrcpy and developed directly on the phone but thru mouse and keyboard. Typing long script or repetitive pattern is really saved by using scrcpy : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7313
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

hmast

Post by hmast » 23 Apr 2019 11:52

Got to thinking about using Bluestacks that emulates Android. Never tried it before. Maybe works out. Then not needed. Will let you know.
Possible=ISeeAWay, Impossible=IDontSeeNow, ImpossibleButImportant=WeNeedToFindAWay

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 23 Apr 2019 16:23

Yes, you can use emulator or install android x86 inside virtualbox. But those have the real limitation. You can make sure that the elements you used in the emulator will work the same in your real device. I realize it when try the flow, it is working in Bliss inside vbox, but not working when import the same flow to the RN5 MIUI. Using scrcpy will remove this problem, as you develop on the same device, just different control only (using real mouse and keyboard). You can test the flow immediately and can have all the sensor based, location or any other real time data, not simulated inside emulator.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

hmast

Post by hmast » 23 Apr 2019 16:59

Yea, I kind of had only bad experience. I think my original feature request is quite good. Some simple desktop editor. Just add same look and feel and list of stuff and it's fine. And add way to import it. That's all there is to it.

hmast

Post by hmast » 23 Apr 2019 17:07

Ok but what are the alternatives? Buying Android tablet with huge screen? Connecting Android to some huge screen and adding mouse? What's the biggest tablet out there that is not insanely expensive? Taking into account my first post regarding attracting new users, making the damn desktop editor I think is fine idea. Should not be too much work.

Martin

Post by Martin » 23 Apr 2019 19:47

Creating a desktop editor is too much work for now and will likely miss many useful features (like selecting apps, contacts, phone numbers, test execute a flow, test interactions with other apps etc.) so it's not an option in the near future.
The regular Android emulator is quite usable now so I would recommend to try the emulator with Google Play support so you can install apps and access your contacts, mails etc. This also helps to import/export the flow from/to the real device.

Regards,
Martin

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 24 Apr 2019 17:35

@hmast : Android tablet has different ROM again. And the flow that works in android tablet might not work at phone. Especially when you are dealing with control UI action. You will still miss a lot of feature.

Other alternative is using wireless mirroring receiver. I have ezcast that support miracast. I can plug the ezcast to the 32 inch tv/monitor thru HDMI, and mirror my phone screen to TV/monitor. Then plug OTG hub + mouse + keyboard. But I seldom use it, as I mostly in front of PC, so I will use scrcpy instead.

To give an example of recent usage (why I prefer mirroring), I am creating the handler for the Send Intent : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8010
To test the flow, I need to share directly from whatsapp Images, Audio, Video, Documents. If I develop the flow in emulator or other tablet, I will need to login my Whatsapp account there, or at least create another dummy whatsapp account just for the testing purpose. It can be done, but much more complicated. I hate backup/restore or creating dummy account just for one-trick-pony.

Using scrcpy, I simply mirror whatever on my phone. I can develop and test directly on the same device. I can pause, disconnect the mirroring, go on and continue developing on my phone. When I am back at the PC, I simply mirror it again and continue from the phone again. The seamless experience without the need to export/import or sync, is more productive. That's why I almost never use the emulator/vbox method anymore, except for separate testing.

hmast

Post by hmast » 25 Apr 2019 15:31

Will reconsider trying both Desmanto suggestion and emulator at some point. Cheers!

hmast

Post by hmast » 26 Apr 2019 07:02

What I'm really interested in is simply better feedback of what is going on. I would not mind using Tasker if I could have Automagic kind of map including all the things running in real time on the screen, so I can see from computer screen where is the bug . . . .