Importing Tasker xml Tasks/Profiles?

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

hmast

Importing Tasker xml Tasks/Profiles?

Post by hmast » 17 Jan 2019 18:34

I have a lot of Tasker stuff and I am wondering if I could import instead of building it all manually which would take a lot of time...
Possible=ISeeAWay, Impossible=IDontSeeNow, ImpossibleButImportant=WeNeedToFindAWay

Desmanto

Re: Importing Tasker xml Tasks/Profiles?

Post by Desmanto » 18 Jan 2019 06:12

There is no way to do that. Automagic and tasker is totally different, although both are used for automation. It takes about 3 days to import 30+ profiles/tasks and about only a week to convert most of them : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6809. It will always be painful at first, but you will thank yourself later.

If you problem in the conversion, you can always ask here, to find the equivalent element in Automagic.
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

hmast

Post by hmast » 18 Jan 2019 16:23

I think I'm going to leave non-buggy stuff that already works for Tasker to deal with, and from here on going to build new things when needed with Automagic. (Using Autoremote to have them talk to each other seems to be working well.)
Possible=ISeeAWay, Impossible=IDontSeeNow, ImpossibleButImportant=WeNeedToFindAWay

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 18 Jan 2019 18:04

Using Tasker with Automagic at the same time is possible, but kinda waste of resource. Better choose only one. But if you are already good with Automagic and plan to migrate totally (while slowly migrating the profile/task from tasker), you can still have them run at the same time. I do the same, until I turn off and uninstall tasker completely.

To let them talk to each other, no need auto remote. Unless you are using the cloud messaging feature from auto remote, you don't have to install auto remote anymore. Automagic already have the HTTP request Trigger built-in. You can use tasker to send HTTP to automagic HTTP server. But that is also not the most efficient way. You can simply run tasker task from automagic using action Launch Shortcut. Or you can run Automagic flow from tasker using plugin autoshortcut (still need to install). The other way to execute each other and even passing parameter/variable is to use tasker send intent coupled with automagic General broadcast trigger; or Automagic action send broadcast coupled with tasker intent received. Pass the variable in the extra field.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

hmast

Post by hmast » 18 Jan 2019 19:41

It's great to know potential alternative solutions when needed. I am using Autoremote to have all my devices to be able to talk to each other but mostly to trigger Windows devices to action with Eventghost from Android and vice versa.

Regarding using both, I wonder how much resources are being wasted when using both instead of one, assuming the total amount being performed is the same whether Tasker or Automagic individually or split between the two... I think it really doesn't matter if it is a small loss meaning it is not meaningful/substantial loss...

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 19 Jan 2019 18:26

I used to use Autoremote to Eventghost too. But now, there is no need for autoremote anymore. Automagic + Eventghost is the perfect pair. Both have HTTP webserver and can do HTTP post, so 2 ways communication is possible without any additional plugin.

Depends on the number of your active flow. Previously I remember to get around 100+ MB in tasker with about 30+ active profile, with about 50 tasks. Autoinput takes another couple of ten MB too.
Now ini Automagic, I have about 60 active flows from almost 200 flows; with about 150+ active triggers (I have a lot of flow with multiple triggers). Automagic only take around 150+ MB, and that includes the accessibility service already.
This doesn't count in the possibility that the event from tasker/automagic crash with each other.

I believe we should be more efficient as much as we can. So unless it is necessary; better use 1 app to rule them all, rather than using so many apps.

hmast

Post by hmast » 20 Jan 2019 23:41

Good to know, cheers! As there are many other Tasker users who might want to switch, good import option would be useful.

hmast

Post by hmast » 03 Feb 2019 07:38

Yea will convert entirely as soon as some xml import function of tasker backups will become available, or/and buying new smartphone.

Martin

Post by Martin » 04 Feb 2019 20:10

It's unlikely that I will ever write an import function for Tasker profiles since the underlying model of Tasker and Automagic are quite different and an import would not work in many cases.

Regards,
Martin

hmast

Post by hmast » 25 Feb 2020 09:07

Should say I'm still on Tasker because there is no import option from Tasker xml (now it's year later). I have so much things with Tasker and it's just too time consuming to build totally from scratch. It's time consuming enough to figure out the differences between Tasker/Automagic once I do get import to figuring out through log what needs to be changed due some incompatibility as with more complex systems that depend of other things. I think it's for many not to jump over. I kind of know how to build in Tasker and there's some time required to learn how to do the same in Automagic. But way to import would be huge shortcut to see how Automagic sets up the systems that are familiar to you and seeing the differences. I think it would actually not be that time consuming to jump over in such case. I think should be reevaluated as to how it could be done.