Anyone using the proximity sensor trigger ?

General discussions about Automagic and automation in general

Moderator: Martin

Nælü

Anyone using the proximity sensor trigger ?

Post by Nælü » 31 Oct 2018 09:55

I find it odd that I don't see people using it.
I use it to turn on and off my screen, and it activates a couple of other variables and flows that I've created.

Desmanto

Re: Anyone using the proximity sensor trigger ?

Post by Desmanto » 31 Oct 2018 10:19

Probably they just haven't share the flow. I check my usage, there are 5 proximity trigger and 3 proximity condition. But I remember only one proximity trigger is being used, proximity screenshot. All other are others' flows those I haven't exported to separate folder.

I am also thinking to use it as silent non-intrusive confirmation. But I always found confirmation dialog more useful and suit to my need.
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

Pepy

Post by Pepy » 01 Nov 2018 12:25

I'm currently using it as one of two conditions to prevent accidentally turning on the flashlight when shaking the device.
I've seen people use it for turning on/off the screen, but that's about it. I'll probably use it again in the near future, since I've only just started messing around with apps like these recently.
Hope my post was helpful :D
Device: OnePlus 5T running crDroid, rooted with Magisk 8-)

Wibbly

Post by Wibbly » 01 Nov 2018 16:15

I have a screen saver flow to save the AMOLED screen when using navigation in the car, buy showing a dark overlay over the whole screen. Proximity sensor makes the overlay go when I put my hand near the screen when driving.

To be honest I wish there was a way of detecting when Google Maps made an announcement as an alternative trigger to clear the overlay 'automatically'...

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 01 Nov 2018 17:02

@Wibbly : Try to use my variable logger flow to the UI event on google maps. Add all of the variant of the event. Probably you can log something that happen during the announcement. You can then use this event as the trigger.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

Wibbly

Post by Wibbly » 01 Nov 2018 18:43

Desmanto wrote:@Wibbly : Try to use my variable logger flow to the UI event on google maps. Add all of the variant of the event. Probably you can log something that happen during the announcement. You can then use this event as the trigger.
No luck - what I'm trying to trigger off is when it chooses to make a verbal announcement, but there's no method I'm aware of for detecting the app that's generating a sound... I can't see how the notification variables can be correlated to match the verbal announcements :-(

.... but I did a workaround to trigger off the distance to the next turn (in the notification), which works ok'ish.

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 03 Nov 2018 18:32

Not notification. My variable logger trigger can be changed to anything. In this case, try to change to UI event, and choose Google maps. You wanna try to log UI event produced by google maps and probably can catch some pattern to use it later.

Another method is to use periodic timer to detect Audio stream, using condition Audio Stream Active. But this has latency and may miss, since it is periodic. The other is using trigger Sound Level. It use active mic to detect the sound level, has higher power consumption. But I assume you must have plugged it to the car charger, so doesn't matter. However, this also have problem if you play music or radio in car. So better try to find the UI Event first.