Shoutout

General discussions about Automagic and automation in general

Moderator: Martin

digitalstone

Shoutout

Post by digitalstone » 08 Apr 2018 15:02

I just made an Automagic shoutout on the forum of Keen Software House.
They are the creators of Space Engineers (and Medieval Engineers... i mainly play Space Engineers).

Why there?
Space Engineers is a lot like Automagic in the sense that you can create automated systems in-game (in-app ;) )
It's a mixture of minecraft, Lego Technics and Kerbal Space Program but with physics and good graphics.
It's been in the making since 2013 and reached Beta-stage since somewhere 3th quarter 2017.

The game is highly complex to develop because of it's dynamic nature.
Whole planets are deformable, individual functional blocks are to be attached to one another to build functional structures like stations, ships, cars... even mechs.
Physics like mass and gravity (natural and artificial) are a thing.
As wel as oxygen, ore, items, components all running through cargo systems/tubes and being stored inside cargo containers.
In-game scripting/programming in C# is possible with the "Programmable Block" (similar to placing a script-element in your flow).
Modding is also a huge thing (and has become a sub-community of some sorts, just like scripting). Blocks, skybox, characters... even planets themselves.
It's all to be found on the Steam Workshop.

Slowly but surely other companies are joining the "dynamic space sandbox"-genre but are taking all sorts of cheap shortcuts.
Space Engineers (and Medieval Engineers) is the real thing in my humble opinion.

It has a nice community (yet not everyone understands the complexity of this game's development, thereby asking and 'demanding' too much).
There is a forum, spokesperson (Xocliw) with his Twitch-channel,

I will share some links now to check out for yourself:
Steam
Workshop
Forums
Xocliw's Twitch (He doesn't always stream Space Engineers though)
Phone: LG Nexus 5X (rooted vanilla Android 7.1.2)

digitalstone

Re: Shoutout

Post by digitalstone » 08 Apr 2018 16:51

The whole thread about the Automagic shoutout has been deleted without warning.
Wow, that never happened before.
I'm sorry.

-- EDIT --
I just checked out their forum rules and yes, they do have an explicit rule that reads:
Spamming and Advertising is not permitted. Posts that include links with the purpose of promoting other products, services or selling items will be deleted. In the case that the member will repeatedly violate this rule, he/she will be banned from the forums.

canadaDry

Post by canadaDry » 08 Apr 2018 18:26

Looks like a duck, quacks like a duck....

digitalstone

Post by digitalstone » 09 Apr 2018 18:50

Yet i didn't see the duck, so that still sucks.
I wrote a pretty nice shoutout and spend some good time on it as well.
Automagic is way too unpopular for it's quality, that's why i did that.

I thought that community was a good target audience because of the abstract nature of mechanics.
But now they'll never know.