Known Issues on Android 8

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

Martin

Known Issues on Android 8

Post by Martin » 09 Sep 2017 12:27

• Automagic is shown in a new notification Android System - X apps are running in the background. This is a new feature of Android 8 which can only be mitigated by snoozing the notification for a long time (action Snooze Notification on Statusbar which is available on Automagic 1.34 can be used for this purpose). Disabling Show status icon also prevents that the notification is shown but makes Automagic unreliable. According to Google activating option Access to notifications could make Automagic run reliable again but this has not been confirmed by tests yet.
    Another workaround is to show the Automagic icon in the status bar by disabling option Icon in expanded status bar. This will prevent that the background notification is shown, however the background notification will still be shown and Automagic will still be listed if any other app causes the notification to appear.
  • Condition Service Running can not detect services of other apps anymore. This is a new restriction from Google. No workaround known.
  • Trigger Media Button Event does not work anymore. Playing a sound from Automagic using action Sound on the media stream should workaround this issue.
  • Action Dismiss Slide to Unlock Keyguard does not dismiss the keyguard anymore. A workaround to this problem will be integrated in version 1.35 of Automagic.
  • Automagic action Shortcut can not intercept shortcuts built in other apps anymore since this part of Android has been changed and only the default Launcher receives the created shortcuts. You either have to use the button Build Shortcut when the other app supports this or you could try to build a shortcut by using action Launch App or Start Activity by manually defining the required fields.
  • Custom widget overlays are shown below the status bar and potentially other system windows and the lock screen. This is a new limitation of Android 8. No fix or workaround available.
Known Issues on Android 8.1
  • Notification icon of Automagic is always visible on status bar, even if option Icon in expanded status bar in the settings of Automagic is selected. This seems to be a bug introduced in Android 8.1 (see https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/69842394). Temporarily disabling and enabling notifications for Automagic fixes the problem on most devices.
  • Trigger WiFi Connected and condition WiFi Connected only work reliably on Android 8.1 when permission Location is granted to Automagic. The next version will show a hint to grant the permission in case it's missing. In the meantime you can manually grant the permission in system settings->Apps & notifications->App info->Automagic->Permissions: Location
  • The system prevents Automagic from turning on the WiFi adapter when airplane mode is active, even when wifi can be manually toggled in airplane mode. This seems to be a new limitation introduced in Android 8.1. Automagic Version 1.35 will workaround this limitation when root features are enabled for Automagic.
  • Action End Call does not work anymore on the latest security update of Android 8.1 since Google now requires a permission that can not be granted to regular third party apps like Automagic. Automagic 1.35 integrates a workaround to fix the action on rooted devices. On non-rooted devices you can try to build a workaround by clicking the Decline button of the notification about an incoming call. To do this, add a condition Notification on Statusbar Displayed and check for the dialer app of your device (e.g. com.google.android.dialer) and then use an action Perform Action on Notification on Statusbar: Click button Decline.
This list is not complete and will likely grow in the next few weeks. Let me know if you find any issues that are not mentioned yet. Also let me know if you should be aware of a workaround or partial workaround to one of the listed problems so I can add the information in this post.

Thanks & Regards,
Martin

lloydcopland

Re: Known Issues on Android 8

Post by lloydcopland » 13 Sep 2017 18:05

Call recording fails - unknown source - works on android 7...

Swipe to unlock also does not work.

Martin

Post by Martin » 13 Sep 2017 19:12

Hi,

What kind of options do you use in the call recording action? What device manufacturer/model? Custom ROM? Also a log (flow list: menu->Log, menu->Send Log: info@automagic4android.com) would be very helpful so that I see the entire error/stack trace.

It seems that the swipe to unlock feature was disabled on purpose by Google for security reasons but there seems to be some new API that might bring it back. I'll add it to the list of known issues.

Thanks for reporting!

Regards,
Martin

marvin78

Post by marvin78 » 02 Nov 2017 06:57

Automagic cannot detect placing a chrome shortcut on the homescreen. The API for that was changed in Oreo.

Martin

Post by Martin » 03 Nov 2017 20:51

Thanks for mentioning. I've extended the list in the first post.

Regards,
Martin

jwhittenburg4171

Post by jwhittenburg4171 » 04 Nov 2017 20:53

The Set Wifi Tethering State action is not working for me. It was working in Android 7 and Android 8.0. It stopped right after upgrading to 8.1. It doesn't work with method 1 or method 2.

Here is what I am seeing in the log:

04.11.2017 13:48:04.254 [Flow6] Action 'Set WiFi Tethering State: On Test'
java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Operation is not supported on this device
at ch.gridvision.ppam.androidautomagiclib.util.bj.a(SourceFile:368)
at ch.gridvision.ppam.androidautomagic.c.a.fz$1.c(SourceFile:122)
at ch.gridvision.ppam.androidautomagiclib.util.cj$1.run(SourceFile:40)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:764)
Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchMethodException: Could not find a declared method with name startTethering and parameters [int, class android.os.ResultReceiver, boolean] in class interface android.net.IConnectivityManager or one of the superclasses
at ch.gridvision.ppam.androidautomagiclib.util.bj.b(SourceFile:79)
at ch.gridvision.ppam.androidautomagiclib.util.bj.a(SourceFile:339)
... 3 more

Martin

Post by Martin » 05 Nov 2017 20:47

I'll take a note to check this on Android 8.1 as soon as I have a device with 8.1 available.

Could you please add an action Script with following script:

Code: Select all

logSystemServices();
then use menu->Execute, menu->Log, menu->Send Log to send the log to info@automagic4android.com? This would help me to see if a new method is available to toggle tethering and to add support for this in the next update of Automagic.

Thanks & Regards,
Martin

bogdyro

Post by bogdyro » 05 Nov 2017 21:52

Hi Martin.
Isn't it easy to create a virtual device with API level 27 from Android Studio to test AutoMagic on Android 8.1?
Sorry if I'm way off base. I'm a newbie in Android development :)

jwhittenburg4171

Post by jwhittenburg4171 » 05 Nov 2017 22:12

You could use an AVD to test 8.1, but I don't know how tethering would work with it, since it is virtual.

Martin

Post by Martin » 07 Nov 2017 20:16

I usually don't test such features on emulators since features that require a rooted device often don't work the same on emulators and real devices. Also tethering seems not to be supported by emulators.
BTW. In the meantime I have updated one of my test devices to Android 8.1. It's just not rooted yet.

Regards,
Martin