Using Automagic with OpenVPN

General discussions about Automagic and automation in general

Moderator: Martin

jimford

Using Automagic with OpenVPN

Post by jimford » 14 Sep 2017 19:35

I've looked at a couple of threads dealing with OpenVPN, but neither suit my purpose (puzzingly, one of them uses 'Tasker').

I use OpenVPN to connect my router to a VPN server. My Android phone wirelessly connects to this VPN when I'm at home. When I'm away from the router, I want the 'OpenVPN Connect' app on my 'phone to automatically start and connect.

I've tried creating a Flow:

1) WiFi Disconnected MYSSID
2) Launch Shortcut 'vpn connect' (having created a OpenVPN Connect shortcut - 'vpn connect')

The log shows that it runs without errors, but OpenVPN doesn't start. (The 'vpn connect shortcut runs OK, if started 'manually')

I'd be grateful for any advice, please!

Jim (1st post!)

Desmanto

Re: Using Automagic with OpenVPN

Post by Desmanto » 15 Sep 2017 13:54

If the created shortcut runs properly, seems there is some extra value it is passing. Try to open the Launch shortcut action, tap home (leave the action open). Go to OpenVPN app and recreate the shortcut again. Back to automagic, the shortcut should be auto filled. Try it now.
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

jimford

Re: Using Automagic with OpenVPN

Post by jimford » 15 Sep 2017 14:49

Desmanto wrote:If the created shortcut runs properly, seems there is some extra value it is passing. Try to open the Launch shortcut action, tap home (leave the action open). Go to OpenVPN app and recreate the shortcut again. Back to automagic, the shortcut should be auto filled. Try it now.
That was it - it now works a treat! Thanks a lot for the help 'Desmanto'.

Jim