EAP version 1.34.0-dev

Forum to discuss everything related to the current development build of Automagic.

Moderator: Martin

Bingwu

Re: EAP version 1.34.0-dev

Post by Bingwu » 10 Sep 2017 10:31

Hallo und einen schönen Sonntag Martin!

Vielen Dank für das Update! Schon ein erster Blick und ich finde es mehr als gelungen! :-)

Es ist nicht weiter von Belang, mir sind ein paar "verbuchselte Wegstaben" in der deutschsprachigen UI aufgefallen. Leider hatte ich nicht das EAP installiert.

Einstellungen -> Rubrik: "Allgmemein" = "Allgemein"
Einstellungen -> Text unter Rubrik "Funktionen & Berechtigungen": "unf" = "und"
Einstellungen -> Workarounds -> Text unter "FTP Dateilisten Kompatibilitätsmodus": "Dateiausflistung" = "Dateiauflistung"
Einstellungen -> Workarounds -> Text unter "Alternativer Gmail Host": "eineigen" = "einigen"
Einstellungen -> Workarounds -> Text unter "Software Rendering in Flow Editor": "Rnedering" = "Rendering"
Einstellungen -> Logging -> Text unter "Log in Datei schreiben": "Eintäge" = "Einträge"
Service stoppen (Bestätigungsdialog [Mein geliebter Dick-Finger-Dialog ist da!]) -> "du" = "Du"

Viele Grüße
Peter

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 10 Sep 2017 10:49

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the update. I have tested it on my main phone, the perfomance difference is so huuuuuge, don't know why my element execution was so slow before.

At SD415, when running my test, looping for 100 time for 2 elements (total 200 elements executed), at 1.33.0, average around 70+ ms per element. At 1.34.0 dev and stable around 33-35 ms, only half of it. So twice the speed.
Even at SD410, also the around the same. I check the CPU usage, at SD410, all CPU were used. At SD415 (which is dual cluster), the big cores were used, thus max perfomance.

But at my main phone SD617, at 1.33.0 average around 130-140 ms. Have retested it a lot of time, still got the same. The CPU usage only use the little cores.
When updated to this 1.34.0, still same little cores were used (sometimes big cores were used but for a while only), but now it averages at 33 ms! 1/4 of the 1.33.0.
Have retested it several times to confirm and yes still 33 ms consistently.

I also noticed that the flow editor is much smoother. Opening that huge flow now scroll much better with almost no lag (the framerate seems to be up to 60 fps). I noticed there is a new option at Preference - Workaround - Software rendering in flow editor. If I check this, I'll back at the same lag when opening huge flow. So the default rendering now use hardware rendering to make it smoother.

Wonder what changes under the hood which can made those differences.
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

Martin

Post by Martin » 10 Sep 2017 11:09

@Peter: Danke für das Feedback und die Meldung der Tippfleher! Wird natürlich in der nächsten Aktualisierung behoben.

@Desmanto: The flow editor used software rendering in the previous versions of Automagic and was changed to hardware rendering since it makes a huge difference on some devices (mostly Samsung devices in my tests). When a flow is executed and watched in the editor, Automagic has to redraw and update the flow visualization quite often, which is much faster with the hardware acceleration and usually requires less CPU. The hardware acceleration support for Android is still lacking and some drawing operations are not even supported on the latest versions of Android so I used quite a lot of time to find workarounds and alternate procedures to achieve more or less the same visual result.
The workaround to reactivate the software rendering is just there for devices that crash for some reason which I hope is not the case very often but hardware acceleration is not working very well on all devices.

Regards,
Martin

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 10 Sep 2017 12:28

Oh, thanks for the detail. I just know the slowing down is in the flow editor only. The proper way to test the flow is to make trigger shortcut and execute it outside of the flow. I just tested it, it is only 3 ms per element!!! (and 4 ms for the SD410/415). But it is quite troublesome to back to home screen first and to change the trigger first. Most of the time I need to see the flow running and the logic flowing.

So far the hardware acceleration doesn't give any problem. The smooth fps is very delightful. Flow helper to create the multi trigger expression also seems to execute faster. I think most qualcomm and exynos based phone will benefit from this, as they usually has extra co-prossesor to help the CPU, especially qualcomm with the Hexagon DSP. Thanks for the time to make it works. It really a big update.

Regards,
Desmanto
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

Xamgin

Post by Xamgin » 14 Feb 2018 06:52

Nice to hear that there is a new version.Thanks for the post.
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.