EAP version 1.30.0-dev

Forum to discuss everything related to the current development build of Automagic.

Moderator: Martin

Martin

Re: EAP version 1.30.0-dev

Post by Martin » 29 Jan 2016 20:48

A new EAP version is available.

Changes in this update:
  • fixes crash in global variables on Android <6
  • should fix problem in action HTTP Request
  • added examples for Screen Filter in action Start Service

Automagic
Download: Automagic.apk (2016-01-29)

Automagic Workarounds (required on Android 6+ to change unofficial system settings)
Download: AutomagicWorkarounds.apk (2016-01-23)

Regards,
Martin

Martin

Post by Martin » 29 Jan 2016 20:52

@PaulyQ I can not reproduce this problem on my test device. When you enable 'Debug Log', is there anything in the log when the condition is executed? Does the condition take a long time to execute or does it stop with an error?

Thanks & Regards,
Martin

Martin

Post by Martin » 30 Jan 2016 19:48

Changes in this update:
  • potential fix for condition Flashlight On not working on Android 6/Moto X Style

Automagic
Download: Automagic.apk (2016-01-30)

Automagic Workarounds (required on Android 6+ to change unofficial system settings)
Download: AutomagicWorkarounds.apk (2016-01-23)

Regards,
Martin

Mar

Post by Mar » 30 Jan 2016 21:36

Yes, now the condition Flashlight is working.
Honor 7, Android 6

PaulyQ

Post by PaulyQ » 30 Jan 2016 22:22

Martin,

Thanks for the quick fix. The condition is working fine now.

Yours

EBen

Post by EBen » 01 Feb 2016 13:10

EBen wrote:Hi Martin,
I have problems writing to my external SD Card (employed in portable Mode) due to the new access rights policy of Marshmallow. The problem occurs when I try to use, e.g., the "write to file" action with a target file on the external Sd card. As far as I understand, this would require the app (automagic in this case) to request the write access right from the user, as described e.g. here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3313 ... to-sd-card

As a workaround, I use the "execute command as root" action with the respective Shell command to achieve my goal. However, it would be nice to get write Access also for the other actions that would require the rights.

Best regards,
Erik
Martin wrote:Hi Erik,

Maybe it's not a problem of the permission but about the external SD card in general.
Automagic should request the permission to write to external storage, otherwise it should not even start respectively show a special 'Grant access' screen. You can also check system settings->apps->Automagic Premium->Permissions: Storage should be turned on.
Writing to a real external SD card should not work since Android ~4.4 (when I recall correctly) since Google does not like apps to write data there (only to a few special directories for each app that are deleted automatically when the app is uninstalled. (I'm aware about SAF but don't like it yet)).
On a rooted device you could use an app like SDFix to allow access to the external SD card.

Regards,
Martin
Hi Martin,
thanks for your answer. However, it contradicts some of my understanding and experiences of external SD card access on Marshmallow, so please excuse my insistence even if based on a kind of half knowledge. I just see a good potential to improve ext SD card access with automagic.
1) system settings->apps->Automagic Premium->Permissions: Storage is granted, but this only concerns the access to the app-dedicated space on the ext SD card, which I also verified with other apps.
2) SDFix doesn't work on Marshmallow, at least not on my cm13: Error "Platform permission file is invalid, no WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE entry found." Other apps which used to get extSD write access in Lollipop also do not get the access in Marshmallow anymore.
3) As far as I understand, google changed its mind about external SD card access. The new method seems to require user interaction by explicitly selecting a folder via a DocumentProvider.
In my first post, I thought this had been introduced with the runtime access rights of Marshmallow, but as I learnt now it was already introduced with Lollipop, as you can read here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2674 ... r-lollipop
However, it seems that only few app developers had made use of this feature before Marshmallow, but now on Marshmallow the mehod used by SDFix doesn't seem to work any more and app devs are more pushed to use the new SD card access API.
4) Examples for an app which uses that method (I tested and it works on my device) is Titanium Backup, if you select a non-standard location where the backups are stored.

I hope this helps to improve the full extSD card read & write access in Automagic.

Best regards,
Erik

Martin

Post by Martin » 01 Feb 2016 20:58

1) yes, that's also my understanding. Automagic should get read+write access to /storage/emulated/0/, read access to /storage/extSdCard/ and read+write access to /storage/extSdCard/Android/data/com.gridvision.ppam.androidautomagic/files. I might be wrong on the last path since I have no test device with an external SD card on marshmallow at the moment.
2) Didn't know that :cry:
3) The DocumentsProvider stuff is called SAF (Storage Access Framework). I don't like it and want to avoid it as long as possible (I know, resistance is futile ;-) )
4) I assume that Titanium Backup either uses root to write files or uses the SAF. Maybe I'll add a root method to copy and write files to the extSdCard when it helps to avoid SAF a little bit longer.

Regards,
Martin

Martin

Post by Martin » 14 Feb 2016 16:12

Changes in this update:
  • minor changes and fixes
Automagic
Download: Automagic.apk (2016-02-14)

Download: AutomagicWorkarounds.apk (2016-02-14)

Regards,
Martin

Martin

Post by Martin » 16 Feb 2016 19:52

Changes in this update:
  • Workarounds for Automagic is now available on Google Play
  • minor changes and fixes
Download: Automagic.apk (2016-02-14)

Regards,
Martin

Martin

Post by Martin » 27 Feb 2016 06:36

Hi,

I have just uploaded version 1.30 to Google Play. The update should become available within the next few hours.
Thanks to all for helping to test!

Regards,
Martin