Running list of functions that fail in newer Android

General discussions about Automagic and automation in general

Moderator: Martin

guuzendesu

Running list of functions that fail in newer Android

Post by guuzendesu » 23 Mar 2021 01:55

I don't have a new Android device, but I don't suppose anyone would feel like documenting the functions that fail in newer Android versions? If you do, please be sure to include whether you have used ADB to enable as many features as possible.

Hopefully someone will take up this suggestion...

guuzendesu

Re: Running list of functions that fail in newer Android

Post by guuzendesu » 31 Mar 2021 09:02

I see this thread has been viewed well over a thousand times already, and no one has given a single example. That could be a good sign.

I recently purchased a Galaxy Tab S7 which features the latest version of Android, and though I don't have thousands of flows available to check, the ones that I have run on it still work fine. As I understand it widgets are a complete no-go, but I didn't use that functionality so I'll just take others' word for it. (Edit: I downloaded two flow sets from the flow sharing area which include simple widgets, and both of them worked as expected, after editing to "fit" my tablet. So at first glance widgets are fine as well.)

That aside, it's still one of the most powerful-yet-user-friendly automation apps available today. I say we all try to promote it as such, get people to try it out and find out how good the interface is, and then maybe when they have to go to Automate, they will (also) raise such a fuss about the clunky nature of its interface that the devs will have to face the fact that their product simply doesn't measure up, and more work could be done.

If Automate's interface had "borrowed" a lot more from Automagic, I wouldn't even be here. But frankly in comparison, Automate sucks. I say we do all we can to make the devs understand the truth of that comparison. They need to fix it.

Further edit: It seems the Media Button trigger is bugged, and has been since at least Android 9. Android 7 was the last time I used it so not sure when it quit working. At least it is on both of my Android 9 phones. Though the function works in other automation apps.