What is your post Automagic plan?

General discussions about Automagic and automation in general

Moderator: Martin

ewill

What is your post Automagic plan?

Post by ewill » 15 Nov 2020 19:29

Now that Automagic has ended, I am interested in seeing what folks are doing. Are you moving to something else, and if so what. Are you sticking with Automagic as long as it keeps working?

I was initially hoping that somehow there would be some future for Automatic, perhaps it would be picked up by somebody else. I see that the traffic on the forum has quieted very considerably, I am no longer very hopeful that this will be happening.

I came from Tasker to Automagic about 5 years ago. I never wanted to turn back. However since it appears that Automagic will no longer be a long term solution, I am considering going back to Tasker. Although I don't have any current issues with Automagic, I am concerned that as new versions of android emerge, it is likely that there will be more compatibility issues with Automagic.

I am interested in what other loyal and dedicated Automagic users are planning for the future.

xdauser

Re: What is your post Automagic plan?

Post by xdauser » 15 Nov 2020 19:55

So far all my flows are working fine with Automagic. Personally I do not see any software which comes even close to Automagic in terms of flexibility, elegancy and user friendliness. Tasker is clunky and there is a step learning curve. It is a really pity that dev resigned from maintaining this project. I guess we all have priorities. It also is really pity that dev did not decided to make it open-sourced and allow to continue development of it by others to keep his work alive. I am pretty sure there are many talented coders gathered around AM which would like to keep it ongoing. Well it is what it is and we all have to acknowledge that fact...:-(

tsolignani

Post by tsolignani » 15 Nov 2020 22:30

I am using it currently and intend to keep using it.

I am at Android Pie and I don't want to upgrade, I don't want to lose features.

I hope someone takes AM over or it goes open source.

Philip

Post by Philip » 16 Nov 2020 16:56

I'm on Android 11 and, while Automagic still works, I have bitten the bullet and have started migrating all my flows over to Tasker.

Yes, the user interface is nowhere as good as Automagic, and it seems that almost everything requires you to download another third party app to do things, but there is a huge support network and lots of examples available online.
--
Philip

tsolignani

Post by tsolignani » 16 Nov 2020 18:20

How does it take to convert flow from automagic to tasker?

Is there some tool or do you have to rewrite them all? I have many of them and some are complex ones, a great work to do...

Thank you.

Philip

Post by Philip » 16 Nov 2020 22:51

No tool that I know of.

It's just a slow process, migrating one flow at a time. It does give you an opportunity to improve your flows, add new features and get rid of any that you no longer use.
--
Philip

ewill

Post by ewill » 16 Nov 2020 23:01

I am finding the process slow as well. I have my pre-Automagic tasker saved and am using that as a starting point. It is amazing how many things that were simple in Automagic take longer and are more complicated - or need a plugin - in tasker.

I am just afraid that sooner or later something in Automagic will break and I will have no choice. This way I can go more slowly.

tsolignani

Post by tsolignani » 17 Nov 2020 07:21

Thank you. It would take me a real great deal to convert every flow to tasker manually. I just prefer to use them as long as possible and hope automagic gets acquired or open source released and developed again.

Have a nice day you all.

Micky Micky

Post by Micky Micky » 17 Nov 2020 18:33

Hello,

Android Studio.
Coffee.
Cigarettes.

Wishing you all well.

Micky
Crude but it works.

canadaDry

Post by canadaDry » 13 Dec 2020 03:18

I'm going to milk Automagic and Android 9 for as long as possible. I've automated my life using this tool!

Re: tasker. Yes, it's a decent tool... but its UI is painful to use and has become bloated with features - many that don't work anywhere as reliably as AM. I've opened a couple issues (bugs with a feature) with Joao and neither was resolved (although Joao did give them some attention). Martin was fastidious at testing so that a new feature was pretty bullet proof.

Another option (that I've posted about viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8619&p=27577#p27577) is the newly open-sourced B4A (basic for android) which has a decent following online and is fairly powerful tool. Though it doesn't replace the elegant and powerful automagic.