What is your post Automagic plan?

General discussions about Automagic and automation in general

Moderator: Martin

guuzendesu

Re: What is your post Automagic plan?

Post by guuzendesu » 31 Mar 2021 09:11

tsolignani wrote:
26 Mar 2021 17:20
I'm still using automatic, I am not upgrading further android 9 and I hope I can keep going like that. It would be so good if someone would buy automatic and continue development.
I have a new S7 tablet now, and so far all of the functions I've tried have worked. Obviously some things have been changed in how they work by Goolag, but they work as well as other Automation apps. I've been trying to set aside some time here and there to actually check as many as my hardware will allow, I just haven't gotten very far yet.

guuzendesu

Post by guuzendesu » 31 Mar 2021 09:14

Wibbly wrote:
26 Mar 2021 13:22
guuzendesu wrote:
23 Feb 2021 12:27
Automate is very similar, and in several ways far more powerful than Automagic. However, the interface is a bit of hell in comparison.
I had a quick look at Automate. Still need to get my head around the different paradigms has has for triggers/actions/conditions/flows. It seems all its flows are expected to be running in a loop all the time? Anyway, if we want to discuss AM -> Automate migration, we should probably start another topic? And maybe not on this forum :-S
I don't think the dev comes here any more. Even if he did, I don't think he'll mind us talking about other apps since he has abandoned Automagic and made it free.

Wibbly

Post by Wibbly » 01 Apr 2021 10:22

Has anyone started using Automate after AM yet, converting flows, etc?

tsolignani

Post by tsolignani » 01 Apr 2021 13:57

I am still with AM. I don't think you can convert you just have to rewrite.

Wibbly

Post by Wibbly » 01 Apr 2021 14:26

tsolignani wrote:
01 Apr 2021 13:57
I am still with AM. I don't think you can convert you just have to rewrite.
Yes I meant convert 'manually' ;-)

guuzendesu

Post by guuzendesu » 01 Apr 2021 23:42

Wibbly wrote:
01 Apr 2021 10:22
Has anyone started using Automate after AM yet, converting flows, etc?
I'm using Automate just a bit. I find it a little confusing. You almost HAVE to connect every node even if you're not going to use it. For example if you have a "WiFi Connected" block and set it to "When changed," thinking that you'll only have to connect the "Yes" side to something to get your actions done...NOT SO! You also have to connect the "No" end back to the same block so that when WiFi is disconnected later, the flow won't just stop there and need restarting. I used to think that they copied Automagic, but I don't think they could have made a more user-unfriendly version of Automagic if they'd tried. I think they had the idea on their own and never saw Automagic, or they would have realized what a really good user experience is.

As far as migrating...I have no plans to. Right now everything works for me in Automagic that I have ever used, and I've tested quite a few things and found seemingly 99% are working. When functions stop working, I'll probably just use Automagic to trigger short actions in Automate or even MacroDroid, as long as Automagic can be used to define flows that are activated by the triggers I want. Automagic has the best interface I've seen for automation, and I'm not going to give it up just because I can't make it do every single thing. Automagic will continue to be my automation software...Automate and MacroDroid will act as plugins.

OsunSeyi

Post by OsunSeyi » 20 Jun 2021 07:13

Have a question...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... managerpro

This is a scriptmanager for shell scripts.
They write it is possible to create widgets also.

Do You think it is possible to remake the functionality of Automagic with shellscripts?

Using bash on Linux wouldn't enable GUI elements without using for excemple xdialog or zenity.

On Automagic I'm quite familiar using and creating widgets. They are really nice and working so fine.

I'm wondering where I could find a replacement for this.
But the functions *not* using widgets might be replaceable with shellscripts.

srvctec

Post by srvctec » 04 Aug 2021 23:02

I'm just trying to find out what to use instead of AM (AM Premium user for many years). Tried Automate and what a ridiculously confusing mess it is to try and figure out. Also tried MacroDroid and it looked promising but I can't get either one of those apps to reliably run my most simplest flow on AM (opening an app when my phone is set to vibrate).

I most likely will be finally upgrading phones from my Note 8 I've used daily since release weekend, to the Pixel 6 Pro. It is expected to come out with Android 12 installed so I'm guessing AM won't work flawlessly with it, hence my search for a replacement.

Maybe I just need to spend a whole bunch of time with each of the above alternatives to try and make them work since there doesn't appear to be anything nearly as good as AM.

Wibbly

Post by Wibbly » 05 Aug 2021 09:04

Anyone experimented with Android 12 beta and Automagic? Really hoping not too much is broken and we get at least another year of Automagic use... It will break big time for sure when the version of Android it targets is no longer supported by the current version of Android - here's hoping we're ok for a while

tsolignani

Post by tsolignani » 05 Aug 2021 12:07

I just stayed with Android 9, to avoid losing features and the use of automagic.