Full screen programming via Q + "nexdock"

General discussions about Automagic and automation in general

Moderator: Martin

canadaDry

Full screen programming via Q + "nexdock"

Post by canadaDry » 02 Mar 2020 21:23

I use automagic for many tasks (mostly home automation and reminder management) and have come up with various ways of doing the programming e.g. VM running android, scrcpy.

Saw this unboxing video https://youtu.be/PNCuEYF5uKk of a new device that will hopefully make programming automagic on android way easier. So I've pre-ordered one from these guys: http://nexdock.com/ It's basically a dumb terminal that turns into a 13" laptop when connected to your smartphone.

With Android Q/10 desktop mode is possible so my fairly high powered OnePlus 7Pro will become a full fledged laptop where I can do automagic programming.

Note: I'm not affiliated in any way with nexdock.

Desmanto

Re: Full screen programming via Q + "nexdock"

Post by Desmanto » 03 Mar 2020 05:06

Sorry to burst it out. With the similar price, I can get Chuwi Hi10 X with intel N4100, 6/128 GB Win10, 10 inch touchscreen 1920x1200. Add 20% budget, I can get full keyboard and the stylus. It works standalone if we don't need android. With windows, I can setup scrcpy and mirror it. Yeah, it takes more setup, but we can benefit from the touchscreen too. There is also the stylus. I can type the script using keyboard and rearrange the element using stylus.

My sister have ordered the ubook series, with 8/256 GB 11,6 inch version. I will try it out once it arrived and might order another just because "want", not "need" :LOL
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

Micky Micky

Post by Micky Micky » 04 Mar 2020 19:46

Hello,

Heat. Chips don't like heat. Your phone won't like it.

Good luck
Crude but it works.

canadaDry

Post by canadaDry » 05 Mar 2020 01:46

Desmanto wrote:
03 Mar 2020 05:06
With the similar price, I can get Chuwi Hi10 X with intel N4100, 6/128 GB Win10, 10 inch touchscreen 1920x1200...full keyboard and the stylus. With windows, I can setup scrcpy and mirror it.

Yes, I'd love to get my stylus back - I gave that up moving from being a long time Samsung Note user to OnePlus.

Laptops are certainly cheap and plentiful these days, and your sister's Chuwi X looks decent.

The deal breaker for me is the small 10" screen and weight.

For me, scrcpy isn't as useful as running automagic in a VM (emulating a large screen tablet)... I use both methods at the moment, but hoping this new gizmo will replace doing that.

Keep us posted on your view of the Chuwi X though!

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 05 Mar 2020 18:21

@canadaDry : My sister's Chuwi Ubook have arrived. At first impression, ah I hate using touchscreen alone with windows. The stylus works, additional keyboard also work, but it is just I wanna use the touchscreen to the fullest, but somehow not so comfortable. I am the one who prefer mouse and keyboard when dealing with windows. Ubook is 11,6 inch, but yes it is quite heavy compared to typical android tablet.

I have tried scrcpy and it is working great thru usb cable. Using my RN5 with SD636, which is mid class phone from 2018, it is still mirroring in good perfomance. I can notice some framedrop though, because I used to watch 60 fps video (using svp). But my sister doesn't notice it at all.

Touchscreen from the laptop is working fine thru the scrcpy to the phone. I can swipe, long press and even pinch to zoom in out. But it seems to support only 2 touch, the third one is dropped. Open up Automagic, I can drag drop and create flow in the bigger screen. My sister is very happy when she can play COC at this 11,6 inch screen. There are noticeable framedrops though, since her phone is still RN4, not powerful enough to game and mirror at the same time.

My "want" somehow subsided after playing for a while. Fortunately I don't get driven by my impulse buying. Still prefer to develop flow using mouse keyboard when I need some serious typing, just like what I have done with my logcat flow. But for other purposes, this Chuwi Ubook is very price to perfomance.
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

canadaDry

Post by canadaDry » 10 Mar 2020 19:57

Thanks for the update Desmanto. The laptop sounds decent though for the price - if you just need something small/portable for travel - and aren't gaming on it.

My "nexdock" won't arrive until late summer (at the earliest).