Editing AM scripts on PC with ClipSync...

General discussions about Automagic and automation in general

Moderator: Martin

webtrekker

Editing AM scripts on PC with ClipSync...

Post by webtrekker » 22 Jun 2019 10:51

I've just installed the free ClipSync app on my Android phone, which connects over wifi to a ClipSync server installed on my PC.

I can now Copy/Paste text both ways between Automagic and PC using the Notepad++ editor on my PC (set up to use JavaScript language). Simply highlight the text you want to transfer on either device and copy to clipboard. The devices will immediately sync and the text can be pasted from the clipboard on the other device.

This makes programming scripts so much easier than having to fiddle with small mobile displays and keyboards. Also, Notepad++ has some great features for checking your code, not least of which is the 'BracketsCheck' plugin. Other helpful plugins are JSON and XML viewers.

Desmanto

Re: Editing AM scripts on PC with ClipSync...

Post by Desmanto » 23 Jun 2019 15:26

Using scrcpy is even easier. You can develop fully on the PC by mirroring the phone's screen. At the latest version, it supports screen off and also clipboard sending. https://www.xda-developers.com/scrcpy-v ... splay-off/

While for non mirroring clipboard syncing, I use eventghost for clipboard from-to. I can press Ctrl+Alt+3 to send PC's clipboard to my phone, or gesture swipe up 4 fingers from my phone to send phone's clipboard to PC. Both done by using Eventghost paired with Automagic HTTP request/trigger.
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

Pepy

Post by Pepy » 01 Jul 2019 17:47

I have just tried out both of your methods and have decided on using Alt-C with Atom Editor (using JavaScript language). I've already got JSHint set up as well so I may use that in the near future to check curly braces, unused variables, etc. I'm not sure if it's still under development or not though since it hasn't been updated in over a year (don't think an iOS version will ever be released).

I gave the ClipSync app a try again but it was unreliable most of the time and I had to restart the server a couple of times to get it to work.
Alt-C works very similarly to ClipSync but it has many other benefits as well:
  • Better UI
  • More recently updated
  • Can set custom hotkeys for copy and paste
  • Shows a history of copied text in the app
  • No need to enter an IP or anything. It simply just connects over Wi-Fi and can work on different networks
For Scrpy, it's probably just personal preference but:
  • I found it much more annoying to switch between running tasks. The cmd and screen mirroring window both have to stay up and running which takes up space on my taskbar (since I have a lot of icons on my taskbar this may cause the tasks to be separated via arrow keys)
  • Pasting text is relatively slow since it does it letter by letter rather than in an instant
  • The mirrored display is really blurry (on-screen text is hard to read)
  • Having to navigate by mouse between elements and then executing it manually is fairly troublesome when navigating by mosue or touchpad
    I have yet to give EventGhost a try yet however since I don't think I'm ready for automating Windows :lol:
Hope my post was helpful :D
Device: OnePlus 5T running crDroid, rooted with Magisk 8-)

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 06 Jul 2019 17:34

Pepy wrote:
01 Jul 2019 17:47
For Scrpy, it's probably just personal preference but:
  • I found it much more annoying to switch between running tasks. The cmd and screen mirroring window both have to stay up and running which takes up space on my taskbar (since I have a lot of icons on my taskbar this may cause the tasks to be separated via arrow keys)
  • Pasting text is relatively slow since it does it letter by letter rather than in an instant
  • The mirrored display is really blurry (on-screen text is hard to read)
  • Having to navigate by mouse between elements and then executing it manually is fairly troublesome when navigating by mosue or touchpad
    I have yet to give EventGhost a try yet however since I don't think I'm ready for automating Windows :lol:
- "more annoying to switch between running tasks" is for PC right? You can use the scrcpy-noconsole.exe instead. This will have only the mirroring window opened, without console.
- Pasting text is using adb input, which is slow. It also doesn't support multi line pasting. Use the new method to send the text directly to clipboard instead, Ctrl+shift+V. You can then long press at the device and choose paste to paste directly. I create my own method to use control UI paste() directly after sending the clipboard to the device.
- You can adjust the resolution. I rotate landscape my phone after mirroing, so it fit better to the typical Full HD resolution of the screen. You can simply turn on auto rotate and rotate your phone. Then press Control+G to fit the resolution
- It takes time to adapt to different method of using the phone. Android simply optimized for touchscreen, so it can be a bit awkward if we try to use mouse instead.

I mostly use eventghost to communicate to the Automagic request trigger. Since I can code much better in Automagic script rather than python.
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.