Automagic as System App

General discussions about Automagic and automation in general

Moderator: Martin

IAmJAG

Automagic as System App

Post by IAmJAG » 05 Oct 2018 15:23

Hi -,

I just want to ask if someone here tried to convert this app to system app? How it did go? Were you able to do command for rooted only phone, like the Execute root command?

Regards,
jAGHere

Desmanto

Re: Automagic as System App

Post by Desmanto » 05 Oct 2018 16:30

Why? To do some privellege action that required by system app? You can do almost anything in Automagic once you have granted it root access (including execute root command), no need to convert ot system app. To do so, you also require root, so kinda pointless. I simply install Automagic as normal user app and grant it root access from Magisk; Redmi Note 5, custom ROM RR 6.2 Final Oreo 8.1

But yes, for some actions, they are executed using normal user permission. Example : move files, copy files, init variable files list. To list or deal with the files in the /data, which require root; you can use execute root command, and the command line method, such as ls, mv, cp, and so on.
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

IAmJAG

Post by IAmJAG » 05 Oct 2018 17:31

Hi Desmanto,

I forgot to mention that I could not root my phone due to a certain game that won't run on an rooted phone. However, I was able to make tasker a system app( yes, I'm a converted tasker user :D ) without rooting my phone.

The issue with tasker being a system app is that, when you try to execute a rooted only task, it would check first if the phone is rooted. Since it is not, it will not run the task. Even if you give it a godlike permission.

I was wondering if it is the same with AM.

By the way, I was trying to clear an app cache, and it did not work. Then, I read somewhere in this forum that you needed to be rooted in order for clear app cache to work. That experience lead me to this inquiry.

PS:
Your post are very helpful. Thank you very much.

Regards,
jAGHere

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 05 Oct 2018 17:46

How do you do that without root? :shock: Do you mean that you gain temporary root, convert tasker to system app, unroot/reboot, then still stay undetected by the game? AFAIK, once you touch the /system partition, the dm-verity is broken, you can't boot your phone anymore without using modified/patched boot.img; which mean the game should have detected that too (the broken dm-verity). If your game still can run after that, most likely you can hide the root by using magisk hide too. So you can root your phone using magisk, hide the root detection from the game in the magisk manager. Of course you should consult to the phone forum for further detail.

If tasker can't execute root tasks, then automagic can't neither. Without the su binary or some root management app which grant the root access, converted system app only gain some system level privllege, but not necessary root level privellege.

Clear data/cache of an app require adb shell level permission. To do that in 3rd party app, usually require root to access the pm command. Alternative solution without root, you can use Control UI to navigate to the app info of the app using Action Start Activity. Then use Control UI to tap at the storage > Clear cache. However, there will be UI distraction caused by the Control UI. You can find the example tutorial at my index, Control UI section : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7320
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

IAmJAG

Post by IAmJAG » 05 Oct 2018 18:21

There are several method to do this. Yes, root and unroot is one of them. That will also work for the game, at least for now. I think, it does not detect like your describe with the dm-verify. Because I am using TWRP file manger to convert my app. Basically, flash TWRP, then use the file manger to move files and folders, then grant access, then patch the recovery image again.

I also read converting to system app thru ADB. Haven't try it but it looks promising.

I've tried Magisk method, but it was detected. Hiding root with Magisk did not worked, unrooting the phone temporarily using Magicks did not also work. Or may be I was not trying hard enough.

When the TWRP method works for me. I did not find any other way. I was able to find workaround with my automations, especially when accessibility feature was out.

PS:
The Magisk method were proven to work on other phones. Some other phone were able to use root and run that game at the same time. But I have not seen this in any samsung phone.

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 06 Oct 2018 05:16

What magisk version do you use? safety net still passed? (ctsprofile true and basic integrity true also?) Try to use the latest magisk version.

You can try to hide magisk manager too, Magisk > Settings > Hide Magisk Manager. This will randomize magisk packagename, see if it helps. Make sure you don't install any module yet, or just use Magisk Core Only Mode. But not all app/games detection can be avoided.

AFAIK, there is no way to convert to system using adb without root. If there is, it will be security exploit and will be patched soon in the newer android version. Using TWRP should have triggered the game detection. I wonder how it achieved the conversion without being detected.

IAmJAG

Post by IAmJAG » 07 Oct 2018 02:56

Desmanto wrote:What magisk version do you use? safety net still passed? (ctsprofile true and basic integrity true also?) Try to use the latest magisk version.
I don't remember what version was it. It was two months ago. But I'm sure it was the latest version that time. I always download the latest version when using this kind of softwares.
Desmanto wrote:You can try to hide magisk manager too, Magisk > Settings > Hide Magisk Manager. This will randomize magisk packagename, see if it helps. Make sure you don't install any module yet, or just use Magisk Core Only Mode. But not all app/games detection can be avoided.
I did that, hide the Magisk Magager. I did not install any module, but did not try the Magisk Core Only mode.
Desmanto wrote:AFAIK, there is no way to convert to system using adb without root. If there is, it will be security exploit and will be patched soon in the newer android version.
Like I said, I did not try any other method when I found TWRP. Thanks for the information, I should keep that in mind.
Desmanto wrote:Using TWRP should have triggered the game detection. I wonder how it achieved the conversion without being detected.
May be the game does not look/detect like the other game. I think I know what you mean, there is this another game that I could not play because it keep detecting that my OS is patched. I was wondering, why it does that, but I just realize now that you mention it.

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 07 Oct 2018 13:00

Now we have Magisk 17.1 and beta is at 17.2 which introduce some game bypass (probably your game is included here too). If randomize packagename still detected, then we don't have any other option anymore.

Sorry for the confusion, when I mean "root", this include any modification you have made, including using TWRP. I should use the term "modification" then, since it is irreversible even though you do factory reset. Any modification which is not reverted after reset, can be considered as root/modification already.

My phone Xiaomi RN5, has the policy of warranty with the modification. I can UBL my phone and still have the warranty. But if I bring the phone to claim the warranty, with root, modification or worse to be custom ROM (currently I am using RR 6.2); then it is guaranteed to be rejected. So your modification will be also rejected, even though you say you don't root it.

IAmJAG

Post by IAmJAG » 09 Oct 2018 05:13

Thank you for the info. I will Magisk again one of this day. Warranty is not a problem with my S7Edge. I it 2years old in my care now.

I still could not test/try other method due to I'm using my phone everyday in my work, plus I'm a bit busy from my work. I don't have a backup phone. I'm planing to buy one, but I still don't have the budget. So for now, I tried your suggestion with control UI. Thanks for that.