Keeps me from Apple!

General discussions about Automagic and automation in general

Moderator: Martin

Wibbly

Keeps me from Apple!

Post by Wibbly » 09 Jul 2018 14:00

From many reasons why it may be good or not so good to try an Apple iPhone for a change, I keep coming back to the automation possible in an Android device and how easy AM is to to be able to define and create automation projects.

If I look at my flows, I find many/most of them are actually around battery management and extending battery life one way or another - both of which the OS and OS settings should do well enough for me not to have to bother, but there are others that are more like mini-apps and they do things perhaps not even possible with the more restricted APIs in iOS.

So AM is alone a key reason I stick with Android :-)

digitalstone

Re: Keeps me from Apple!

Post by digitalstone » 09 Jul 2018 19:36

Indeed... why turn to the light side? We have Automagic and chocolate chip cookies 8-)

But seriously, I was a (proud, nonetheless) owner of an iPhone 3G & iPhone 4.
It was fun at the beginning but only for those iPhone 3G years and because it was new, with the "apps" (terrible word, it diminishes the word "applications" like devs aren't important).
Then during the end of my iPhone 4 contract in 2013, i got curious and researched the world of Android because i actually needed WAY more control.
I started to look around and got so excited, got my Samsung S3, rooted after 2 weeks and flashed my first custom ROM (CyanogenMod 11.x).

A little while after that i started to notice:
iPhone seems to be for people who just want to use their smartphone to do things in the way that they want their phone telling them how to.
Android is a vast entity encompassing a world of different devices, dynamic, and working for the user, instead of the other way around.
Martin himself would be the judge of the following statement: most of Automagic would not be doable on the iOS platform, but the way Apple closes it's systems and the type of people who tend to use it... Automagic just wouldn't be even for that kind of system.
Phone: LG Nexus 5X (rooted vanilla Android 7.1.2)