Detecting if a file exists on a network computer

General discussions about Automagic and automation in general

Moderator: Martin

zaa

Detecting if a file exists on a network computer

Post by zaa » 05 Jun 2018 17:07

Hello all,

First post, really liking this app!

First off, I'm aware that the app doesn't work with windows file systems, or samba. (correct?)

I have a windows XP computer that runs a cnc machine. Each time it needs attention, I have a script that writes a file to the hard drive. Other computers on the network monitor the hard drive, and report when the file exists.

I'd like have a notification on my phone as well. Any ideas on what would be the best (easiest) way to achieve this using Automagic? I hesitate to install extra software on the cnc machine computer, as it's kind of finicky, it needs to be able to produce a nice constant stream of data to keep the machine running smoothly. It also does not have an internet connection, only LAN available, however the file that's created could be written to another computer that does have internet.

I appreciate any thoughts or ideas on the project.
Thanks,
Z

Desmanto

Re: Detecting if a file exists on a network computer

Post by Desmanto » 05 Jun 2018 18:28

No samba integration yet. But you can easily extend it via the MiXplorer. You can search the keyword "MiXplorer" at my index. I have the link to the tutorial to copy file to/from samba server.

Do your phone connected to the same network as the XP do? Or at least to other computers that can access that XP? If yes, you can install Eventghost and create the automation there. Eventghost is almost like tasker/Automagic for Windows, except it is row based, not flow based like Automagic. It takes a while to get used to it, once you have been so comfortable with Automagic's flow based editor. But eventghost is quite lightweight, consider you only activate the plugin you need.

You can use it to create event and trigger other computer. There is file observer trigger too. Then to put notification to your phone, you can use either combination of eventghost python url request to your phone Automagic Trigger HTTP request; or you can use shortcut at your phone and action HTTP request to Eventghost webserver and reply back with some variable. Need to know first, what option are available at the PC and your phone.

I use Eventghost + Automagic to copy file from/to phone and PC (thru MiXplorer), sharing clipboard, activating mirroring (scrcpy), wireless adb and planning on doing more. Sky is the limit
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.