Wearable Device

General discussions about Automagic and automation in general

Moderator: Martin

digitalstone

Wearable Device

Post by digitalstone » 22 Mar 2018 15:32

Because Desmanto's recent post, i started thinking about using a wearable for even more ease-of-use and time-efficiency in the practice of: Swiping over NFC-stickers :D

I'm already doing workouts almost daily and know my stuff on what-and-why to eat and all that, so please, i don't need the, IMHO, overly excessive heartbeatmeter, pedometer, caloriemeter and every-5th-strawberryjamdonut-meter.

I just need a simple slap-on wristband with NFC capability on which i can tell Automagic (on my phone or wristband??) what to show to me.
A simple display would be welcome for telling time/notifications or something.

Now, do you think i'm looking for a full fletched smartwatch, or could i be cheaper off?
Phone: LG Nexus 5X (rooted vanilla Android 7.1.2)

Desmanto

Re: Wearable Device

Post by Desmanto » 22 Mar 2018 17:13

Probably you can buy an NFC sticker and stick it to your wristband (or any wearable). My phone don't have NFC. But I always thought of using that. Put an NFC sticker near the door at home and office and use it to trigger flow semi manually (don't need to unlock the phone first). Have been thinking something like a pad consist of several NFC. So placing my phone in different position will trigger different flow accordingly.

Smartwatch still too expensive compared to the usage. I use Mi Band 2 because the battery easily last for more than 2 weeks per charge, and it helps me to do some exercise daily (I won't let the streak broken). While smartwatch nowadays usually need to be charged everyday.
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

Wibbly

Post by Wibbly » 22 Mar 2018 17:59

Desmanto wrote:don't need to unlock the phone first.
It was some ago I played with NFC tags but then, I could do nothing useful whilst the phone was locked - Android prevented it as a security measure. So maybe you need to be rooted?

digitalstone

Post by digitalstone » 22 Mar 2018 18:36

@Desmanto I forgot to mention that i'm using NFC-stickers for years.
I have them beside my bed, front door and even outside of my flat-apartment (Nobody has spotted them yet :lol: )
I didn't used them for quite a while because of certain building time on my flows, but i'll get there.

Call me a drama queen, but it's just a hassle to take out the phone from my jeans when i'm already late while wearing a long thick winter jacket, swipe it, and then stuf it back again before i can walk out the door.

@Wibbly My phone is rooted (a necessary standard issue for me) but i don't think it's necessary to keep having NFC on while the screen is off.
If you have set up a screen lock, you can acquire a "trusted device" in Settings ---> Security ---> Trust Agents.

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 23 Mar 2018 15:48

@Wibbly : I don't know about that limitation, haven't tried it out yet as I never have phone with NFC.

@digitalstone : I agree it is too hassle too. That's one of the reason I buy Mi Band 2, so I can look at clock when I almost late. Picking up the phone from the pocket takes too long and sometimes can be risky. Maybe you need BLE beacon instead. But that will have a bigger range and maybe it can be an issue with battery too; as NFC sticker require no battery at all.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

digitalstone

Post by digitalstone » 23 Mar 2018 21:33

Desmanto wrote:@digitalstone : I agree it is too hassle too. That's one of the reason I buy Mi Band 2, so I can look at clock when I almost late. Picking up the phone from the pocket takes too long and sometimes can be risky. Maybe you need BLE beacon instead. But that will have a bigger range and maybe it can be an issue with battery too; as NFC sticker require no battery at all.
The Mi Band 2 is a fine band from what i can see, but if only if it had NFC.

digitalstone

Post by digitalstone » 25 Mar 2018 16:26

So i eventually had my eyes on the "Sony Smart Watch 3" but it's sold out everywhere and discontinued from production.
That signaled me not to be relying on that for the upcoming time.

So i ordered the next best thing from a brand called "Trade Up To Date" with their X6.
It costs €69.99- but yeah, it communicates with my phone + it has NFC capability.
Got so many ideas for this, and so little time :(

I'll let you guys know how it is, for who's interested.

digitalstone

Post by digitalstone » 29 Mar 2018 14:13

...It was a fail.
Website of the retail shop said it had NFC, yet it actually didn't.
Now it's off to where ever it might have come from.

So... that was sh!tty :D

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 30 Mar 2018 17:34

Ouch, too bad. You should return it then.
Kinda hard to find a working and reliable one.

Xiaomi is going to announce Mi Band 3, but AFAIK it still won't have NFC. The one with NFC mostly already above $200.

digitalstone

Post by digitalstone » 31 Mar 2018 21:38

If i'm right they already received the watch.
I shall take a look around for the best bang for the buck.