Automagic on non rooted phones

General discussions about Automagic and automation in general

Moderator: Martin

StrayCat

Automagic on non rooted phones

Post by StrayCat » 01 Feb 2017 09:21

Hi all.

I'm a huge fan of Automagic wichi has served me very well on my LG G Pro 2 rooted phone.

Now I have moved on to a Huawey Mate 9 stock Nougat non rooted phone. It intended to be a step forward, but now I'm feeling the limitations that comes on apps like Automagic on non rooted phones. For example, now I can¡'t turn on/off data, etc.

How do you survive with non rooted phones, if there is here someone on my case?? Is it root the only way to go???

Regards.

Martin

Re: Automagic on non rooted phones

Post by Martin » 01 Feb 2017 20:29

Hi,

Unfortunately root is the only good solution to toggle some settings like mobile data since Google does not like regular apps to toggle such settings. Google usually prevents regular apps from toggling such settings by introducing special permissions that can only be granted to apps like the built-in settings app but not apps like Automagic.
You could try to toggle such settings with an action Control UI by automating clicking the settings app and the check boxes on the settings screens. This method is not very reliable and requires that the display is turned on and unlocked.

Regards,
Martin

Markos

Post by Markos » 19 Apr 2017 10:49

Thanks for the clarification, Martin. I'm in the same situation (Cyanogenmod to stock Nougat without root) and can't even toggle Airplane mode. I would install LineageOS in a heartbeat if it wouldn't come with its ramifications (knox counter, warranty). Any advice on that? I want to be able to resell my phone as I always do, but rooting would probably lower the price and professional resellers like rebuy wouldn't even take the device, I guess. I tried AutoInput (your suggestion to control the UI), but as you said it's useless when the display is off. Can I reset the counter on a S7 edge? Is there any other downside to rooting I didn't think of?
I know this is a bit outside of the typical Automagic support...but I was hoping to get an informed opinion.

Martin

Post by Martin » 19 Apr 2017 19:21

Hi,

I usually don't root Samsung devices since I want to keep the test devices in the original state and get regular OTA updates.
I also won't give the advice to root the phone since it can break things like Android Pay and other apps that check if the device is rooted.

Maybe someone else with experience rooting an S7 can offer advice or post a link to a relevant rooting help page that's known to be good and working.

Regards,
Martin

Markos

Post by Markos » 19 Apr 2017 19:54

Makes sense, thanks anyway :-)

ariloc

Post by ariloc » 19 Apr 2017 22:34

Martin wrote:Hi,

I usually don't root Samsung devices since I want to keep the test devices in the original state and get regular OTA updates.
I also won't give the advice to root the phone since it can break things like Android Pay and other apps that check if the device is rooted.

Maybe someone else with experience rooting an S7 can offer advice or post a link to a relevant rooting help page that's known to be good and working.

Regards,
Martin
Maybe you can choose a Xiaomi device. Rooting them does not affect the updates and they are pretty cheap. Just a recommendation.

Agree with your updates opinion on Samsung devices.

Zyntax

Post by Zyntax » 22 Apr 2017 18:59

Be careful with Chinese phones. I'm in the US and was eyeballing the Xiaomi Redmi 4 Prime, but had to skip it because it would not work on AT&T's LTE network.

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 23 Jul 2017 05:53

Martin wrote:Hi,

Unfortunately root is the only good solution to toggle some settings like mobile data since Google does not like regular apps to toggle such settings. Google usually prevents regular apps from toggling such settings by introducing special permissions that can only be granted to apps like the built-in settings app but not apps like Automagic.
You could try to toggle such settings with an action Control UI by automating clicking the settings app and the check boxes on the settings screens. This method is not very reliable and requires that the display is turned on and unlocked.

Regards,
Martin
+1 for Control UI. At my phone it is reliable, or at least more reliable than autoinput.
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.