Total Newb Question On Basic Operation

General discussions about Automagic and automation in general

Moderator: Martin

OldPalmTreoGuy

Total Newb Question On Basic Operation

Post by OldPalmTreoGuy » 29 Mar 2015 19:53

First let me say HI to all and thanks in advance for any help that might be offered. I recently came from a Treo 700P to a Droid Maxx. Not and easy change but had to do it. Now I find I am missing important calls because this phone won't remind you if you had a call/text. I purchased this program because, I believed that everything was drag and drop. I downloaded some of the XML files and just don't get it. Where can I find some illustrated examples on what to put where so my phone will keep bugging me when someone tried to contact me, especially when it's work offering overtime. If anyone lives in the Ann Arbor/Jackson Michigan or Toledo Ohio area and can give me a little coaching lunch will be on me, and I don't go cheap. Thanks all!

Martin

Re: Total Newb Question On Basic Operation

Post by Martin » 30 Mar 2015 18:25

Hi,

Here's s short introduction to the basic concepts used in Automagic:
http://automagic4android.com/en/help/base-concepts

The website also contains an illustrated tutorial to create a first flow:
http://automagic4android.com/en/help/cr ... first-flow

The catalog available within Automagic on the flow list (menu->Catalog) contains some basic examples of flows.

What kind of flow are you looking for? Would you like to play an alert sound every few minutes when you missed a call?

Regards,
Martin

OldPalmTreoGuy

Post by OldPalmTreoGuy » 10 Apr 2015 21:26

Martin,
Thanks for the help. Yes I want the phone to make noise for any missed call, text, or email. Pretty basic stuff but I am just not understanding the way people are showing the flow as opposed to how the program looks on my phone. Screen shots are what I need to get this task done at this point.

Martin

Post by Martin » 12 Apr 2015 11:42

I would probably create a few simple flows to create such a reminder:
A ReminderFlow could play a sound once every minute. By default this flow would be disabled. The flow could use a trigger Periodic Timer: 1m and play the sound using action Sound.
Did you try the first flow tutorial on our website? Steps 1 to 4 show how a similar flow can be created. Just add an action Sound instead of an action Notification on Screen. You can also turn this flow on manually to see if it works properly and plays the sound once a minute.

A second flow could detect when you missed a call and turn the reminder flow on. This flow would probably use a trigger Incoming Call: Missed/Rejected and use an action Set Flow State: Enable ReminderFlow.
You could add triggers like Notification on Statusbar Displayed to react to other events like incoming texts (or Whatsapp messages, mails etc.).

A third flow could be used to stop the ReminderFlow when appropriate. This flow could use a trigger Display State: On to stop the reminder when you turn the display on. The flow can use action Set Flow State: Disable ReminderFlow. You could also add other triggers to the flow when you want the reminder to stop at other events, for example when a shortcut on the home screen is pressed.

Does this help a bit to get you started?

Regards,
Martin

OldPalmTreoGuy

Post by OldPalmTreoGuy » 06 May 2015 17:04

Thanks for getting back with me, Martin. I had an unexpected surgery and am just now getting around. I will try the examples again and see if I can add some things to them. Your hand holding is much appreciated!