Coming from Tasker, Looking for Syntax

General discussions about Automagic and automation in general

Moderator: Martin

commander

Coming from Tasker, Looking for Syntax

Post by commander » 01 May 2013 14:28

Hello. I just started checking out Automagic this morning and I am coming from Tasker currently and have used Llama heavily. I'm finding the pervious experiences are making the learning curve a little steeper. I was hoping I could get a couple of basic questions answered to get me started.
  • Is there a way to reference multiple SSIDs in one condition? (ex. SSID1;SSID2...)
  • I would like to use the Bluetooth device I am connected to set a variable. Is there no way to make BT device connected to a condition?
  • Is there a way to set multiple volumes in one action
    (ex. trigger = periodic location, condition = wifi available, action = set audio stream for System, Music, Ringer, Notifications, etc in one action)
    If not could this be possible in the future?

Last question not specifically related to Automagic but I noticed Martin is the dev of Automagic. Is this the same Martin of the awesome CyanogenMod Profiles feature?

Martin

Re: Coming from Tasker, Looking for Syntax

Post by Martin » 01 May 2013 15:11

Hi

1) Text fields often accept a list of values. When supported, the list must be comma separated: SSID1,SSID2,SSID3
Please check the help page of each trigger/condition/action to see what a text field will handle. There is a [?]-icon on the right side of the type dropdown. Some text fields also support variables and glob-patterns.

2) A condition for Bluetooth connected is already on my list of features under consideration

3) Setting multiple volumes at once is only possible indirectly by using an action Restore Audio Volumes and global variables (see help page of action Store Audio Volumes).

No, I'm not the dev of CyanogenMod Profiles.

Regards,
Martin

commander

Post by commander » 01 May 2013 18:08

Thanks for the reply. I checked the help and it doesn't specify the syntax fot the SSID question. But that had me wondering if I am looking at the right WiFi context. I am using Wifi available and am trying to use that as in wifi near me but not connected to. Is this the right application of WiFi Available? I want to use SSIDs for my location awareness without connecting to the WiFi. So far Wifi available is requiring me to manually turn on the WiFi connection before it will run through an execute. Sorry to be obtuse it's just a change in thought proces I'm struggling with.

And as an example of how Tasker is laid out that I like so that things are as consolidated as possible:

Tasker Profile: Checks for wifi around me and calls a task based on location
Task Called: Calls another task that is a consolidated set of actions (Task Set_Volumes: runs through some if statements and if conditions are matched based on location variables, it sets the volumes to that if statement.) I have action tasks for set_radios, set_sounds (Ringtones), set_apps (Gtalk Plug in, Launch Pandora, etc).

This setup allows for a one stop place to make a group of changes as needed for like settings. Is this outside the flow philosophy? I may just need an adjustment in mindset.

Martin

Post by Martin » 05 May 2013 17:43

Condition WiFi Available only allows to specify one SSID and requires WiFi to be turned on before.

You could create a setup like this by creating one flow that checks if the wifi is available (every X minutes) and either executes a few actions on the true-branch of the condition or a few actions on the false-branch of the condition. You can also group a set of actions in a separate flow and call this flow using an action Execute Flows.

Flow:
-Trigger "Periodic Timer: every 10m"
-Action "Set WiFi State: On"
-Action "Sleep: 15s" <--- this action will not be required anymore in the next version of Automagic
-Condition "WiFi Available"
--> true: some Actions or an action Execute Flows
--> false: some Actions or an action Execute Flows

A WiFi scan is quite battery consuming, so execute the flow as infrequently as possible.

Regards,
Martin

commander

Post by commander » 06 May 2013 00:29

Martin, what would you suggest is the best location awareness flow? Obviously battery use is important. Would turning on the GPS and getting location be better or the same? What about triggering based on a cell tower to scan for wifi or GPS?

Martin

Post by Martin » 06 May 2013 15:58

Very difficult to say since most location flows depend on the environment and phone usage patterns.
Phone cell is the most battery friendly but very inaccurate in some areas. WiFi available with an active scan probably uses almost as much battery as GPS but also works indoors and is quite accurate. You could build a flow or a combination of flows that uses both methods. First determine the position using the cell (for example connected to the cells at home) and then enable a more accurate wifi scan flow while you are in this area. You could also use the same strategy with the trigger "Periodic Location Update" and determine the location once every hour using the network (cell/wifi) with a large area and then enable another flow with a higher frequency and smaller radius or even GPS.

mjnz3

Post by mjnz3 » 18 Jan 2014 17:53

commander wrote:Hello. I just started checking out Automagic this morning and I am coming from Tasker currently and have used Llama heavily. I'm finding the pervious experiences are making the learning curve a little steeper.

[*]Is there a way to set multiple volumes in one action
(ex. trigger = periodic location, condition = wifi available, action = set audio stream for System, Music, Ringer, Notifications, etc in one action)
I know what he was looking for here, it's something not obvious to Automagic noobs. I wanted to add my own experience regarding this for those others coming from Tasker =
http://automagic4android.com/forum/view ... asks#p5060