Genius!

General discussions about Automagic and automation in general

Moderator: Martin

obijohn

Genius!

Post by obijohn » 16 Apr 2013 20:23

Ok, I must say that it has been a long time since I've been so impressed with the design of an app. True, the underlying functionality has been done before (e.g. Tasker), but wow the implementation of that functionality in Automagic is amazing. The flow chart design is pure genius!

I've owned Tasker for a while and actually don't find it as difficult to use as a lot of people claim it to be. But as a long-time programmer, Tasker has never felt "natural", I've always felt like I had to put my head into a completely different way of thinking from the way I normally approach problems to get anything done.

A couple of days ago I stumbled upon Automagic on an Android forum, and after seeing some screenshots of some flows, I knew right away that this was exactly how this type of app should be done.

So I downloaded the evaluation version and started creating a flow with about 10 different steps and several conditional branches (I usually jump right in with both feet when trying something out). The first time I ran the Execute menu option and saw each element highlight as it ran through the flow, I literally laughed out loud because it was one of the coolest things I'd seen in a long time! :D

Needless to say, I immediately bought the full version.

Anyway, congratulations on such a wonderful app, and keep up the great work!

guuzendesu

Re: Genius!

Post by guuzendesu » 22 Jan 2014 12:57

My sentiments exactly! The interface is awesome, and the ability to see which flow, and which BRANCH, is active...it's magic. This is actually the way I thought Visual Basic would work (the flowchart interface) when I first heard the name years and years ago. I always thought it should be possible. Alas, I'm not a programmer. Thank God for the guys responsible for AutoMagic!!!

reeta

Post by reeta » 23 Jan 2014 12:38

Martin, what would you suggest is the best location awareness flow? Obviously battery use is important. Would turning on the GPS and getting location be better or the same? What about triggering based on a cell tower to scan for wifi or GPS?
reeta

Martin

Post by Martin » 24 Jan 2014 08:55

Thanks :D It's very motivating to get such a good feedback :D

@reeta: It's usually a compromise between accuracy of the location and battery usage.
Cell towers are usually very inaccurate (can have an radius of up to several miles depending on carrier/country). GPS uses a lot of battery and does not work indoors in most cases. I'm usually using the regular trigger Location with one of the Modern methods. I'm using High Accuracy in the location settings of Android which allows the device to use GPS when determining the location.
Recently Google released a new update to the Android devices which should reduce battery use for the modern location triggers in Automagic. WiFi should be turned on to get good results (or enable option 'Scanning always available' in the advanced WiFi settings of Android 4.4), otherwise the phone will use the inaccurate cell towers to determine your location.

Regards,
Martin