Automagic revived

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

bogdyro

Automagic revived

Post by bogdyro » 13 Nov 2022 08:13

Hi to everybody who still watches this forums waiting for a miracle: the return of Automagic. There isn't many of us left. Maybe everybody gave up.
Lately I was still using Automagic on a Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra with a custom XIaomi.eu ROM on Android 12. I just reflashed the new version of the ROM and Automagic wouldn't start anymore. From on day to another I had like 20 flows that were simply lost. Automagic can't get access to it's own flows folder because of he new Scoped Storage modifications in Android. The ROM I had before still supported sdcardfs which could bypass the scoped storage garbage. I don't think that any custom ROM maker will lose time to implement this compatibility feature so probably all is lost without getting automagic app updated.
So I tried to migrate some flows to Tasker. It is just a nightmare. Automagic was way ahead in terms of user friendliness and innovation. What I didn't know was that I could DEBUG flows, including scripts perfectly as oppossed to Tasker. Just try to debug a javascript(let) or try to get a screen with the values of all variables. Changing variables on the fly is something u can't even dream of.
Anyway...I can't imagine why Tasker made it this far and is the most popular and the 'reference app'.

In desperate search for a solution I thought I would install Automagic 1.37 which still is available for download. And to my great surprise and relief it actually works. It can get access to the internal storage. I just have import my flows one by one 'cause the whole flows/xml file isn't backwards compatible.

Serum_114

Re: Automagic revived

Post by Serum_114 » 16 Nov 2022 21:06

I just successfully rebuilt all my flows in Tasker. I'm glad I did it but it was much harder to do than it was in Automagic.

Martin did an incredible job simplifying an interface that was inherently complex. He also has great imagination for how his app would be used and built in elegant interfaces to all functions.

Tasker is popular because it was not built for a layman to build their own automations. Tasker is better designed for the import of other people's work than it is for doing things yourself. I shared flows only a couple occasions and don't recall ever downloading any. I assume most Tasker users rarely create and primarily consume.

Bluscre

Post by Bluscre » 17 Nov 2022 10:39

I would love to build a AM->Tasker converter
Unofficial AutoMagic Telegram Group: https://t.me/automagicforandroid
Check out my other flows here: https://github.com/Bluscream/AutoMagicFlows or here.

Philip

Post by Philip » 17 Nov 2022 14:37

I also made the painful transition to Tasker.

It is very powerful, and there's a huge community of people supporting it (the /r/Tasker subreddit is especially helpful) as well as a very active and helpful developer. There's also a big ecosystem (many, many more apps include Tasker integration than there are/were for Automagic), and lots of helper app (AutoTools, AutoInput, etc).

There's also a new, simplified, user interface ("Tasky") which can be switched to - although it has a long, long way to go to catch up with Automagic.

At the end of the day, the single-price model (I paid £2.40 in June 2015...) just doesn't work for programmes of the complexity of Automagic, as users expect bugs to be fixed and new functionality to be included, and Google keep putting new obstacles in the way of developers.

It would be good to hear from Martin, even if just to confirm that all is OK with him and that hopefully his new projects are going well.
--
Philip

Serum_114

Post by Serum_114 » 19 Nov 2022 02:52

Agree with everything you said Phillip. Especially the sentiment about hoping that Martin is doing well.

madra

Post by madra » 30 Nov 2022 19:59

Has anybody tried Macrodroid? I saw it mentioned in another thread here as being 'Automagic-like' and the screengrabs on the Play Store look quite similar:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... macrodroid

jaibca

Post by jaibca » 12 Dec 2022 22:38

Análisis Malwarebytes.
Attachments
Screenshot_2022-12-12-23-30-28-044_org.malwarebytes.antimalware.jpg
Screenshot_2022-12-12-23-30-28-044_org.malwarebytes.antimalware.jpg (328.84 KiB) Viewed 32489 times

guuzendesu

Post by guuzendesu » 04 Feb 2023 01:05

jaibca wrote:
12 Dec 2022 22:38
Análisis Malwarebytes.
If it's ransomware, they are taking a LONG time to hold my data hostage. Years in fact.