Change from Automagic to ?

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

Hit

Change from Automagic to ?

Post by Hit » 08 Aug 2020 08:59

Sad news, End game has come.

I want to ask if anyone know the "second best" app like Automagic, so I can learn to use?

Very thanks!

anuraag

Re: Change from Automagic to ?

Post by anuraag » 08 Aug 2020 09:05

I have switched to tasker. Have largest user base.

Philip

Post by Philip » 08 Aug 2020 10:20

I'm sure that many of us are wondering the same. Each new Android version has new features (and new restriction!) so Automagic will doubtless become less usable over time.

I'm not convinced that Tasker is the answer. The user interface is horrible, and you can spend far more time fighting against it than in trying to achieve whatever automation it was that you want to do with your phone. Automagic got the balance right between usability and functionality - Tasker may be able to do the odd thing that Automagic couldn't, but the usability is terrible.

There's also the issue of continuity. Unless something has changed, it used to be that Tasker had a single developer and its continued existence was dependent on his availability. Having first automated my phone with PocketZenPhone, then Llama, and now Automagic, all of which had a single developer who was at some point compelled to stop development, I don't want to invest a lot of time and effort learning a new app just for it be discontinued!

I guess that I'll have a look at MacroDroid, Automate, IFTTT (any others?) but I doubt that any will be as good as Automagic. :-(
--
Philip

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 08 Aug 2020 11:04

Tasker is probably the only one to be on par with Automagic. All other has lesser functions. I am ex tasker user, but I probably can't go back anymore after using flow style in Automagic. Unless, maybe tasker later updated with the way how it design task/profile. I have been commenting about this flow style several times in multiple occassion in the article mentioning tasker, and pretty sure Joao read those comments already.

I will continue to use Automagic until it hit major unbreakable wall. At that time, I will reconsider everything again from zero. I still use some apps which haven't been updated since 2014-2015, and it still working fine. But of course, those usually simple apps which don't get broken in each new android iteration.
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

Hit

Post by Hit » 08 Aug 2020 11:22

Thanks for everyone's advice. Automagic has stopped.

The King is now Tasker. I bought it long ago. But I chosen Automagic.

I just tried Automate and Macrodroid. I think, I will use Tasker when cannot use Automagic.

Wibbly

Post by Wibbly » 08 Aug 2020 11:48

anuraag wrote:
08 Aug 2020 09:05
I have switched to tasker. Have largest user base.
What was your experience? Did you start from scratch with the concept of your AM flows and redesign them for Tasker, or could you in some way 'map' the AM flows (triggers/conditions/actions etc) into the way things are done in Tasker to make the re-implementation easier?

Wibbly

Post by Wibbly » 08 Aug 2020 13:56

Philip wrote:
08 Aug 2020 10:20
There's also the issue of continuity. Unless something has changed, it used to be that Tasker had a single developer and its continued existence was dependent on his availability. Having first automated my phone with PocketZenPhone, then Llama, and now Automagic, all of which had a single developer who was at some point compelled to stop development, I don't want to invest a lot of time and effort learning a new app just for it be discontinued!
It's a double edged sword. With good single developers (like Martin) you get feature requests and bugs delt with often more quickly. I have been amazed with some requested features I have asked for, being ready to try in days sometimes, with single developers ...

anuraag

Post by anuraag » 09 Aug 2020 11:10

Wibbly wrote:
08 Aug 2020 11:48

Did you start from scratch with the concept of your AM flows and redesign them for Tasker,
i did this. I haven't finished yet completely.

Thing i missed from Automagic is debug dialog and Maps type variable. One need to learn basic javascript if they want to use Map type variable, json, dateformat and many more. It will take time to get used to Tasker. I liked Tasker's State context in profiles.

Guys at r/tasker has lots of knowledge if you need any help.

Micky Micky

Post by Micky Micky » 09 Aug 2020 19:32

Hello

Java + Android?

Asking for a friend.

Micky
Crude but it works.