Possible to automatically disable fast charging at night?

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

Wibbly

Re: Possible to automatically disable fast charging at night?

Post by Wibbly » 05 Jul 2020 19:06

I use Accubattery but not sure it's accurate. Android measures its own battery capacity, if you believe this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/co ... nt/fcn0uvp

Micky Micky

Post by Micky Micky » 05 Jul 2020 19:33

Hello,

My in-car solution is two flows. Both alert me via a long vibration on my smartwatch. One flow watches for the battery level to drop below 50%. I plug in the charger. The other flow watches for it to rise above 75%. I unplug the charger.

At home I don't care, but the very high demand when in-car warrants the monitoring. I'd get 2 hours maximum usage if I didn't charge.

Aside from this, I think battery charging has developed. I'm suspicious of the Samsung S10 original charger. I'll post some data soon. I'm just waiting for my battery to deplete.

Many thanks

Micky
Crude but it works.

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 05 Jul 2020 19:40

@vertigo @Wibbly : Nah, I have learnt not to trust that number anymore. About a year ago, I ask others in our local forum about the battery life (since some stated that theirs already went bad). I post mine and show the value from the /sys/class

Code: Select all

cat /sys/class/power_supply/battery/charge_full
it shows 3481000, which is 3481 mAh. RN5 original battery is 4000 mAh, so I can say the battery has aged, and become 87% from the original. Several months later and today also, I checked again. Still the same number. This is the same number I get from the bugreport.zip. And it didn't change until now. So the number there can be misleading.

So I still trust the old fashion method, charge to full and drain until close to 0 (which is not going to happen everyday, since I charge whenever I can). The brightness and network condition might give different SOT, but the approximation should give a rough estimation. I can still get 12 hours SOT if I wanted too (by reducing the brightness), because the maximum 15 hours happened on special occassion where I have almost minimum brightness (due to mostly indoor usage).

@Micky : If the phone is rooted, there are some root command you can use to stop the charging.
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

Micky Micky

Post by Micky Micky » 05 Jul 2020 19:51

Desmanto,

The S10 isn't rooted. One work app doesn't like Developer options being enabled!

The S6 is rooted, so I'd like to learn that if you know the command. Please.

I should have bookmarked that link you gave me for root commands.

Many thanks

Micky
Crude but it works.

vertigo

Post by vertigo » 05 Jul 2020 20:51

There's actually an app that does it, too, which of course requires root. I use it on my other phone that is rooted, and have it enable/disable charging between something like 30-80% when I leave the phone plugged in while using it as a hotspot.

But of course, doing it with AM would be better since it's one less app.

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 06 Jul 2020 18:13

@Micky : the app is at the xda. Or you can just simply use the root command https://forum.xda-developers.com/androi ... 02/page101

Code: Select all

echo 0 > /sys/class/power_supply/battery/charging_enabled
Change 0 to 1 to re-enable back the charging.

However this still require kernel support, and the behaviour or the file needed can be different in each phone/ROM. Have to test it first. The link above show example of the testing.

For example, at mine, RN5 whyred with AEX 6.7 Pie 9.0 ROM, the command above will suppress the charging event. (no charging intent broadcasted). But the phone still charge regardless of that setting. I still have different file I can test, but since I don't need it, I don't try each of them. Even I find the correct file, still doesn't guarantee to work at your phone. So testing is need. Of course, it still carries unknown risk, since this is already playing with the power setting. Do with your own risk.
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

natong

Post by natong » 29 Sep 2022 15:06

Afaik, Apple recommended 20-80% for battery optimization.
I have a dual slot charger—one for quick charge 3.0 and two for regular charge.
I also check batt temp. Speech if more than 40'c.