Automagic can't handle NFC tags

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

ZSasha

Automagic can't handle NFC tags

Post by ZSasha » 27 Nov 2019 09:45

Hello,

I am on a Pixel 3A phone with Android 10 and just purchased a bunch of NFC tags hoping to use them to automatize some actions with just a touch of my phone.

Unfortunately it does not work.

When I scan those NFC tags a window pops up on the screen offering me a choice of apps that should handle NFC.
It says "Choose an action" and has two elements - "Automagic Premium (Automagic Generic NFC)" and something called "Tags. New tag collected".
and there is NO option like "use now" or "always" as it is the case for other actions/apps.

I do have NFC option checked in Automagic settings but that does not help.

Am I missing something or NFC is screwed by Google in Android 10?

Thank you.

Desmanto

Re: Automagic can't handle NFC tags

Post by Desmanto » 27 Nov 2019 18:43

Have you ever tried the NFC feature of Automagic in other phone? I never have one, so can't tested it out. I found out I can do some magic if my phone have NFC tag, so it will be a must feature for my next phone.

Do you still use the default built NFC tag app? If no, maybe you can try to disable the app first, to ensure Automagic become the default NFC handling app.
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

Martin

Re: Automagic can't handle NFC tags

Post by Martin » 28 Nov 2019 21:24

Hi,

If you are using writable NFC tags, you could use button Write ID to NFC tag to ensure that Automagic is preferred (also check Include Android application record in the write screen).
I'm not sure if it's possible to avoid the app selection in case two apps are installed on the device that handle generic NFC tags. Maybe you could also disable the Tags app.

Regards,
Martin