Check variable through expression

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

Lucy

Check variable through expression

Post by Lucy » 17 Nov 2019 13:04

Hey i need to check a variable to determine if a flow should execute or not. Will a simple condition, expression with "global_app_name == null" trigger the condition to a value of true/false?

HumourMe

Re: Check variable through expression

Post by HumourMe » 17 Nov 2019 14:33

You can set the object to null if it exists in the Global variables dialog - just leave it blank.
Then with the condition, select edit, in the top right there are three dots. Select execute and the result will be shown on screen.

Lucy

Post by Lucy » 17 Nov 2019 15:21

Ah... yeah but i need it to run automatically because the value of the variable changes depending on what i want. So i was hoping the expression will work!?

HumourMe

Post by HumourMe » 17 Nov 2019 15:33

I've only been using Automagic for a couple of weeks so don't know for certain. With everything I try, I test using the method I outlined and then I find out. If it works in testing it should then work in practice!

So you can have a trigger with just the global variable, followed by a condition box. Any change of state to the global will then trigger the flow. Is this what you wanted?

Lucy

Post by Lucy » 17 Nov 2019 20:59

Close😊 i was originally going to do just that but it cannot trigger from the variable itself because it will trigger at times i dont want it to due to the way im using the particular variable. One of my flows that share the variable perform different tasks depending on the variables value at chosen times.
I really think my idea could work though. I will try after work and see how goes. Thanks heaps for your assistance 🤙

Lucy

Post by Lucy » 17 Nov 2019 21:28

Lol couldntvwait till after work... had to test my idea and....

Works flawlessly 👌