AM crashes in low cell signal areas

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

skiptannen

AM crashes in low cell signal areas

Post by skiptannen » 13 Oct 2019 12:32

Greetings Martin,

I had a problem with Automagic that I have never experienced in the many years I've been using it - AM crashed multiple times while traveling in some remote areas that had no cellular or Wi-Fi. The phone is a four month old unlocked Samsung Galaxy Note 9 running Android Pie, AM version 1.37.0 and the Workarounds for Automagic are installed, and I believe this is the first time the phone has been running in an area that had no cell or Wi-Fi service. Unfortunately, I was not able to troubleshoot it when the problems occurred but I was able to save some log files (one of which is attached). The problem appeared to be that AM could not load any flows and the error in the log that kept repeating was:

m: java.lang.SecurityException: !@Too many alarms (500) registered from uid 10241

I wasn't sure how else to submit this problem, but when you have a chance I would very much appreciate it if you could look at the log and tell me what you think caused the failures.

Thank you very much.
Attachments
AM_log 10-10-19 15-00.txt
(503.48 KiB) Downloaded 701 times

Desmanto

Re: AM crashes in low cell signal areas

Post by Desmanto » 13 Oct 2019 18:50

Since you know the changes, this error most likely comes from the flow which use Phone cell, Service, or strength triggers. Can't get anything from the log.
You have to turn on airplane mode to make the Automagic not crash first. Then once you can open Automagic without crashing, go thru each of your flow and check for any trigger related to phone cellular trigger.
Note them down and disable all those flows. Then turn off airplane mode and see if it crash again.
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

skiptannen

Post by skiptannen » 14 Oct 2019 14:46

Thanks for your thoughts on this, Desmanto, but I don't think that kind of testing will help me solve this. I don't use any triggers related to cell or Wi-Fi and I'm sure the problem has nothing to do with Airplane Mode. For example, I have a flow that enables Airplane Mode at night and another flow that disables it in the morning. I've been using those flows for years without any problems and the phone was not in Airplane Mode when AM crashed.

I am rarely in areas with no signal so this is not a show-stopper for me - I'm just curious what the problem is. This is the third Android phone I've had Automagic running on and it's the first one that's had an issue with AM crashing. And I would be surprised if something can't be gleaned from the logs - I'm always been very impressed with how in depth AM logging is and I would think that having a unique UID number and a very clear error message would help point to what caused the crashes.

One thing I just thought of was to enable AM Debugging the next time I'm in those no signal areas to see if I can get more detail in the log.

Thanks again for your help.

Wibbly

Post by Wibbly » 14 Oct 2019 15:07

Not associated with AM, but I used to frequently get phone reboots in marginal signal areas. Not noticed it with the last few Android releases. Is it just AM that's crashing?

skiptannen

Post by skiptannen » 14 Oct 2019 17:34

Yes.
Wibbly wrote:
14 Oct 2019 15:07
Not associated with AM, but I used to frequently get phone reboots in marginal signal areas. Not noticed it with the last few Android releases. Is it just AM that's crashing?

Martin

Post by Martin » 16 Oct 2019 20:35

Hi,

Does AM show a dialog to submit the crash report the next time you start AM? If not, could you please try to capture a system bug report, ideally right after Automagic crashes, and then send the bug report to me so I can investigate the cause.
You can usually create a system bug report by going to the system settings->developer options and click on 'Take bug report'. You can send the bug report to info@automagic4android.com.

Thanks & Regards,
Martin

skiptannen

Post by skiptannen » 17 Oct 2019 14:32

Martin,

Unfortunately I did not get a screencap of the message and I don't remember exactly what it said. It may be some time before I'm back in that area, but if it happens again I will try and get better information to submit.

Thanks very much.
Martin wrote:
16 Oct 2019 20:35
Hi,

Does AM show a dialog to submit the crash report the next time you start AM? If not, could you please try to capture a system bug report, ideally right after Automagic crashes, and then send the bug report to me so I can investigate the cause.
You can usually create a system bug report by going to the system settings->developer options and click on 'Take bug report'. You can send the bug report to info@automagic4android.com.

Thanks & Regards,
Martin