Automagic cannot change system settings on Android 10 via root

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

moonspeak

Automagic cannot change system settings on Android 10 via root

Post by moonspeak » 03 Oct 2019 13:55

I updated my OnePlus 7 Pro to Android 10 the other day and have found that Automagic seems to be unable to change system settings now. It gives the error notification suggesting to install the Workarounds app, which I did and which does work, but shouldn't the app still be able to change settings with its root privileges as before?

The device is rooted via Magisk and had no issues with this on Pie or any previous version. I do recall sometimes after applying previous updates, this would happen on the first boot and then after rebooting again, it would be fine, but that doesn't seem to be the case with this update.

Desmanto

Re: Automagic cannot change system settings on Android 10 via root

Post by Desmanto » 03 Oct 2019 17:52

Android 10 may have change the way things work, or it is possible the problem only occur on Oneplus's android 10 ROM. Try execute root command : dumpsys settings
Do you still see result in debug dialog?
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

moonspeak

Post by moonspeak » 03 Oct 2019 18:57

Desmanto wrote:
03 Oct 2019 17:52
Android 10 may have change the way things work, or it is possible the problem only occur on Oneplus's android 10 ROM. Try execute root command : dumpsys settings
Do you still see result in debug dialog?
Yeah, the debug still outputs fine. I don't expect OnePlus would change anything in this regard. They are very root/developer/enthusiast friendly. I did ponder that Google may have changed something, but it seems odd that they could/would change anything that affects what root privileges allow here. My guess is that some change in 10 affects how Automagic detects that it has the privilege to change these settings. Like maybe it's assuming it doesn't have the permission because of the OS version and doesn't attempt to use root in this case. Pure speculation of course.

It's possible that it's a bug with Magisk since the version supporting Android 10 is still beta, but seems unlikely as no other root functions have had any problems. It could also be a bug somehow in the OS causing it. I've sadly realized that this version of the OS is riddled with bugs here and there (to the point that I would downgrade if it didn't mean having to lose my data and set so many things back up), so it's not out of the question.

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 04 Oct 2019 18:05

Try to grant Automagic the write secure permission. Use execute root command

Code: Select all

pm grant ch.gridvision.ppam.androidautomagic android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS
There can be either changes in Android 10 or the ROM, or simply Automagic haven't support android 10 SDK yet. This is why I usually don't want to try be the "beta tester" when new android version come out. I value my flows more than the small incremental features those mostly only "nice to have".

BTW, oneplus might seems to be dev friendly. But I (who have never use oneplus devices) found out that a lot of the dev/users got troubled by the customization oneplus had done, that make it more difficult to implement something new. Google camera is one of them, they require extra modification to make it work, while other vendors can be as easy as install the GCam (after they have activated C2A of course). So this problem can still possibly caused by their customization on the ROM.
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

moonspeak

Post by moonspeak » 04 Oct 2019 23:02

Desmanto wrote:
04 Oct 2019 18:05
Try to grant Automagic the write secure permission. Use execute root command

Code: Select all

pm grant ch.gridvision.ppam.androidautomagic android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS
There can be either changes in Android 10 or the ROM, or simply Automagic haven't support android 10 SDK yet. This is why I usually don't want to try be the "beta tester" when new android version come out. I value my flows more than the small incremental features those mostly only "nice to have".

BTW, oneplus might seems to be dev friendly. But I (who have never use oneplus devices) found out that a lot of the dev/users got troubled by the customization oneplus had done, that make it more difficult to implement something new. Google camera is one of them, they require extra modification to make it work, while other vendors can be as easy as install the GCam (after they have activated C2A of course). So this problem can still possibly caused by their customization on the ROM.
I had actually already tried granting the permission that way. Even though it already had it and there is a GUI toggle for it in the system settings which is on. Not sure there is much else I can attempt at this point. Probably will have to wait until more users upgrade to 10 and confirm whether they have this issue on other phones or if Martin happens to shed some light on the issue. Thankfully, using the workarounds app is perfectly fine for me, but I wanted him to be aware if he doesn't know anything about it yet. I bet he's got a long list of fixes to work on already for this new version with all the stuff Google changed and locked down, lol.