Turns setting off

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

Akt

Turns setting off

Post by Akt » 24 Apr 2019 02:03

Hello
I am using android 8.1.0
My few settings get automatically turned off like access to notification, accessibility services, draw over other apps, and my flow dont work and shows error to start these services.

Please help

Desmanto

Re: Turns setting off

Post by Desmanto » 24 Apr 2019 17:45

What Phone and ROM type? You must exclude Automagic from battery optimization. Depends on the phone, there can be extra setting you need to whitelist for Automagic. And never use the nuke button (kill all, clean RAM, optimize memory, or whatever the name in your phone).
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

Akt

Post by Akt » 25 Apr 2019 01:27

I am using redmi 5a, miui10.
All permission are granted.

These settings like accessibility, show notification get automatically turned off in automagic app (gets unticked), but when i manually check these settings in my phone settings app, there it shows enabled.

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 25 Apr 2019 10:26

I already suspect you are using MIUI. At the recent button, there is a X to kill all recent app. Never touch this button in any way. This is the nuke button, guaranteed to kill Automagic services and leaving it in a half dying state. Accessibility will seems be enabled, but actually have been disabled and not running at all. We have to toggle it off and on again to have the service run again. Several permissions also got resetted, have to grant it back again.

Remember to exclude automagic from battery optimization, choose don't optimize in the app info for Automagic. Lock Automagic to Recent RAM too. Then It is preferred to turn off MIUI optimization at the developer setting. Turning this off doesn't give any noticeable battery drain in most users. But it will definitely keep Automagic running persistently.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

ariloc

Post by ariloc » 25 Apr 2019 17:33

Desmanto wrote:
25 Apr 2019 10:26
I already suspect you are using MIUI. At the recent button, there is a X to kill all recent app. Never touch this button in any way. This is the nuke button, guaranteed to kill Automagic services and leaving it in a half dying state. Accessibility will seems be enabled, but actually have been disabled and not running at all. We have to toggle it off and on again to have the service run again. Several permissions also got resetted, have to grant it back again.

Remember to exclude automagic from battery optimization, choose don't optimize in the app info for Automagic. Lock Automagic to Recent RAM too. Then It is preferred to turn off MIUI optimization at the developer setting. Turning this off doesn't give any noticeable battery drain in most users. But it will definitely keep Automagic running persistently.
As far as I used MIUI, if you lock an app in recents, erasing all apps in memory with the X button doesn't affect apps locked. But if your phone is ever shutdown, you need to lock it back again (or at least it used to be like that). And also as you mention, accessibility gets disabled constantly, mostly when turning back on the phone after a shutdown. So the key is to do all of that, and try to shutdown or restart the phone as less as you can.

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 25 Apr 2019 18:08

@ariloc : At mine, whenever I miss-press that nuke button, Automagic accessibility always died, draw over other app too. Locking doesn't make difference. After turn off MIUI optimization, exclude from battery optimization; even restart, the accessibility is still working fine. That's why I always recommend to turn off any vendor specific optimization. Most of them do more harms than good. Any Nokia pie use probably understand this.

Akt

Post by Akt » 26 Apr 2019 11:28

Done everything but same problem.
I don't restart my phone.
All setting get disabled in automagic flow and when i check them manually in my phone settings app, it shows them enabled.

There was no problem when i was using android 7 on same device. After an update of android 8.1.0 i am facing these problems.

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 26 Apr 2019 16:46

Hmmm, strange to see AM still got killed silently. I have used MIUI 9 Oreo 8.1 in RN5. There is MIUI optimization and Memory Optimization in the dev option. I turn off both. In MIUI 10, Memory optimization is gone, so only MIUI optimization need to be off. After set Automagic to be persistent notification (always visible in notification bar), it never got killed anymore, unless I mis-press the nuke button.

There are something I have done too. I have debloated most of the MIUI app, including the cleaner, virus scanner and etc. Cleaner do more harm than the benefit it gives, while the virus scanner is definitely worthless. The best antivirus is education.

Akt

Post by Akt » 27 Apr 2019 06:57

Stopped cleaner, antivirus.
Now what to do?

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 27 Apr 2019 07:58

Still got killed? Actually I never really try Automagic in MIUI 10, the last version I have ever used is MIUI 9.5.17.0 in RN5. But the framework should be not different much.
Try to crosscheck again your setting, make sure everything is whitelisted : https://dontkillmyapp.com/xiaomi

Next test will be to see when the setting got killed, (disabled in automagic but still show up as enabled). Try to set display timeout to never, then wait for 30 minutes to 1 hours, swiping the screen once in a while to keep the content dynamic (prevent screen retention). Check again if got killed. Then try again with screen off, make a timer with other phone for 10, 20, 30, 60 minutes. Check when it got killed. It is a painful test, but we need to find the culprit first.