Open Developer options in Android P

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

ariloc

Open Developer options in Android P

Post by ariloc » 24 Mar 2019 18:57

Hi, I recently received and installed LineageOS 16 for my device, and by so also upgraded from Android 8.1 to 9. As almost no known issues with this newer Android with Automagic were reported (and the ones that existed were easy to handle with), I didn't see anything that held me to upgrade. So I've been looking around to check that everything was right and I noticed a flow was broken.

In order to use certain apps, I needed to disable root access, which I use the LOS addon for that, as when disabled, apps couldn't detect it, and so opening developer options and using Control UI to disable and enable root when going in and out of those apps was totally fine for me. But it seems that in this newer Android version they changed and hid the activity name of the developer options screen, as when opening them manually with logging on the background, refers to com.android.settings.SubSettings which isn't listed in the class list of activities on action Start Activity. Trying to copy that name it showed in the log as it is in the action and executing it, shows an error that throws "Permission denial" and a bunch of numbers and activity names.

I know I can just open the activity from where you can access Developer options and then click on it with Control UI, but wanted to know, Does anyone know what they changed and maybe a workaround to launch the activity directly?

Thanks

Desmanto

Re: Open Developer options in Android P

Post by Desmanto » 25 Mar 2019 01:14

I also don't understand that. The only available shortcut from launch app in Automagic, is DevelopmentSettingsDisabledActivity. But you can't launch that, it toasts to enable developer option first (although it has been enabled).

But if you install More Shortcut from Playstore, and search for "develop", you will find 2 shortcuts, one is the disabledactivity and the other is Settings$DevelopmentSettingsDashboardActivity. The dashboard version works. You can use the shortcut from More Shortcut by using Automagic launch shortcut, select More Shortcut and find that shortcut.
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

ariloc

Post by ariloc » 25 Mar 2019 01:36

Tried using that, works just fine. I don't know why the strange issue, maybe Automagic conflicting with some security measure added in this version by some method it uses? Not really sure, but thanks for the tip! :D I will surely try that out if I have a similar issue.

Martin

Post by Martin » 25 Mar 2019 16:00

Hi,

You can use action Start Activity and enter android.settings.APPLICATION_DEVELOPMENT_SETTINGS in the action field.
I'll add this value and a few more in the list of known values in a future build.

Regards,
Martin

ariloc

Post by ariloc » 25 Mar 2019 23:25

Also works perfectly! It's good to know there are several ways to do it. Nice to know some improvements are coming, thanks!