Automagic to remove SMS and Call log features in update

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

moonspeak

Re: Automagic to remove SMS and Call log features in update

Post by moonspeak » 28 Feb 2019 20:46

I read through the whole thread since my last post in here and it seems Google still hasn't given you an explicit confirmation of exception, even though it's clearly a device automation app like Tasker, which has already been fully exempted. :?
What a mess. :x I'm sorry you have to deal with it.

I got the update today as well though. Curious: any reason "SMS Sent" is the only call/SMS functionality that's removed? Was that temporary to test the approval or did they say something specific about that for some reason? I would have figured if you were trying to avoid AM being pulled due to not having the automation exemption yet, you would have removed all call/SMS-based triggers, conditions, and actions; not just that specific one.

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 01 Mar 2019 17:26

I would assume that Automagic already passed the human review process and granted the permission already. SMS sent probably left out when Martin thought to disable all of those actions/conditions/triggers.

But of course, it is skynet, we need to have a clear confirmation from google that Automagic is explicitly exempted from the restriction and has been granted to use the call/sms permission properly (and will stay in playstore after 9 March 2019).
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

Martin

Post by Martin » 01 Mar 2019 20:50

For some reason Google asked in one of the reviews that Automagic has to remove the permission to read SMS which is required by the trigger SMS Sent. I heard rumors that some other automation apps also had to remove this permission except Tasker which seems a bit unfair to me. I will probably wait a few weeks to see what happens next and what permissions other automation tools are allowed to use and maybe I'll try to add the permission again.

It seems that Google does not give explicit confirmation to apps when they are safe. The fact that Google rejected my updates (reason Automagic is no automation app) in the last few days and suddenly accepted version 1.37 after I provided the second video demonstration of Automagic indicates that Automagic should be safe for now. Honestly this process is so messed up that I would not be surprised if Automagic would suddenly get warning mails from Google again. I also have a feeling that there will be more problems and additional restrictions in the future.

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 02 Mar 2019 17:36

Sorry to hear that. It is pretty messed up from google part. I have tipped to xda, and maybe they can give some updates on this, about how other devs have responsed and how they solved the problem. Hopefully we have another good news soon.
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

TraianC

Post by TraianC » 05 Mar 2019 06:33

Hi Martin,
I use these features and I really miss them.

There are others apps that are getting restrictions. Some of the developers have found an alternative way to avoid this. They are publishing their app without restrictions on other app stores such as Samsung and Huawei which don't have these restrictions.

That way you can keep the restricted version on Google Play and put unrestricted version on other stores.

What do you think?

Martin

Post by Martin » 09 Mar 2019 15:58

Hi,

Supporting another distribution channel (especially in another app market) is quite a lot of work but I consider to provide Automagic as a regular APK download in some way. This will allow to add the missing features back. Unfortunately I will also have to provide some mechanism to check for updates and will have to integrate some kind of payment infrastructure and license checks etc.
I also have to read some more documentation of Google Play to understand exactly what's allowed so that I don't risk a suspension.

Regards,
Martin

Wibbly

Post by Wibbly » 21 Mar 2019 21:39

Can missing functionality be provided as a manually downloaded helper app, so the core app on the Play Store remains neccesary and helper app just adds the extra SMS and Call log features?

Martin

Post by Martin » 23 Mar 2019 22:00

Unfortunately that could be risky since Google states that apps should not use alternative methods to workaround the limitations. I will likely have to try to get the permission for this in an official way.

emaeee

Post by emaeee » 24 Mar 2019 13:30

Here to say that I'm really sorry you have to deal with this non-sense new approach Google has taken towards developers and customers, forcing you to spend hours trying to fix things that weren't broken.
We chose Android to be able to climb over the fence. And now they are killing core functionalities of well-known well-made premium apps in the name of security.
Tell us if we can do something to support you in this battle, even donations.

Martin

Post by Martin » 25 Mar 2019 15:52

Thanks for your support!
I'm not sure if there's really something that can be done to help in this except to be patient and hope that it does not get any worse. Android Q does not look particularly promising so far :(