Gboard is slowing down

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

Christofer

Re: Gboard is slowing down

Post by Christofer » 23 Oct 2018 20:54

It's really convenient to have them. Gboard has those too, including buttons for selecting, copying and pasting text. The only bad thing about Gboards implementation is that they are two taps away from the normal keyboard.

piz

Post by piz » 24 Oct 2018 17:08

With SmartKeyboard, I have them right on the main keyboard. It's great. :)

wired4sound

Post by wired4sound » 05 Feb 2019 11:32

I've noticed same issue with Gboard...even outside the app now my gboard is dreadfully slow if Automatigic has been used or run since a reboot.

I've uninstalled gboard and reinstalled it hoping it solved the issue.

No luck.

Glad to see it's not just me. I should have searched here sooner. Any solution for this yet?

Android 8

Samsung S8+

ariloc

Post by ariloc » 05 Feb 2019 13:58

Same problem. I figured that if I add another keyboard to my list of available keyboards (so everytime I use a keyboard, there's a notification if I want to change to the other) Gboard works better and almost never slows down. If that doesn't work at all, or slows down by some reason, try switching for a little bit to the other keyboard and then go back using Gboard and the issue may be fixed for quite a while (as someone suggested in a previous message), enough to not be that annoying. Also another thing you can do is to force close Gboard and then use it back again, and it should work normally, but also temporarily like the other solution, or at least in my experience.

Test those solutions and see if it works. In my case I got those results on a Mi 5s (SD 821, Android 8.1 on LOS 15.1), so it may depend on the device you have.

I actually didn't think that was Automagic's fault, maybe because I didn't have many flows running at the same time as I do now. But now that I see this, it's clearly a common issue between Automagicians.
---
About the issues I had, one was clearly a slowdown and issues using backspace when scripting (my cursor jumped anywhere and deleted a character where I didn't meant to). The slowdown was also present in other apps, but not the backspace issue as far as I tested.

wired4sound

Post by wired4sound » 06 Feb 2019 02:37

I've had that backspace issue too.

Where I backspace and it wildly jumps to another spot on the same line and deletes whole chunks of stuff on that line.

I don't run that many flows, yet, so I didn't think it could be Automagic's fault but it was clear as day that if I killed Automagic, rebooted the phone. Then gboard worked great, up until I ran something using Automagic (flow, scripting, widget, etc) then it would slow to an extreme crawl almost to the point of locking up, but not quite locking up.

Slowdown is present in all apps. Backspace issue only happens in scripting in Automagic.

Christofer

Post by Christofer » 07 Feb 2019 22:31

The problem only start (and escalates) when I edit scripts/texts. Nothing else in Automagic triggers the problem for me.

I have also had the problem when I edit large chunks of text in Google Keep, so the problem isn't only triggered by Automagic.

xdauser

Post by xdauser » 07 Feb 2019 22:35

Confirmed. Same happens to me. Only when editing scripts.

wired4sound

Post by wired4sound » 08 Feb 2019 12:22

Just to clarify, even after done editing the scripts, does the problem still remain for the rest of you?

A number of us have the issue remaining even after done editing a script and not working in Automagic...it follows us to other apps.

some of you make it sound like its ONLY while editing the scripts. Is that the case or no?

Christofer

Post by Christofer » 08 Feb 2019 12:35

For me, the problem starts (and escalates) when editing scripts in Automagic. The problem will not go away if I change app to something else; still extremely slow and edits become unreliable as they can remove random text.

I did some research last year by downloading and testing out old versions of Gboard from APK Mirror. If I recall correctly, the problem started with an update to Gboard somewhere around June.

digitalstone

Post by digitalstone » 08 Feb 2019 18:26

wired4sound wrote:Just to clarify, even after done editing the scripts, does the problem still remain for the rest of you?

A number of us have the issue remaining even after done editing a script and not working in Automagic...it follows us to other apps.

some of you make it sound like its ONLY while editing the scripts. Is that the case or no?
Yeah it's stuck afterwards. Either restart process or whatever, or device reboot will suffice though.
I'm still stuck with Swift Keyboard since then... i wanna go back :(
Phone: LG Nexus 5X (rooted vanilla Android 7.1.2)