Location update rate

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

sallyslak

Location update rate

Post by sallyslak » 30 Nov 2017 15:48

Hi

I am wanting a flow (or series of flows) that will open an automatic gate (by phone call) as I approach the gate. I have it pretty much figured out, except that I'm wondering how to adjust the frequency of location updates? I would want to be updating every 20 or 30 seconds while I'm in the vicinity of the gate (which I thought I could trigger using the cell tower ID. (Actually I don't know how often the phone locality updates normally or how to change this manually).

Thanks!

Desmanto

Re: Location update rate

Post by Desmanto » 30 Nov 2017 16:02

Location update will depends on a lot factors, usually it is the power management mode at your phone. If the phone has power save mode, and it is on, the location update maybe can be up to 15-30 minutes once. But it still varies, can't guess a fixed period, you should test it by yourself. If you want a fix time, you can use periodic location update trigger, but beware It will consume more battery. So just enable the flow in certain time range when you are most likely approach the gate.

Other alternative, if you have wifi near the gate and it is detected when you are near, you can just scan for the wifi periodically during the certain time range.
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

sallyslak

Re: Location update rate

Post by sallyslak » 03 Dec 2017 08:31

Thanks for the info. I'll think about it some more!