NFC service has stopped - Pixel 2

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

beedomagic

NFC service has stopped - Pixel 2

Post by beedomagic » 07 Nov 2017 00:14

Trying to scan a tag that will then add a line of text with a date and time stamp to a Google Spreadsheet. It's my understanding that I can do this using Automagic and a spreadsheets plugin for Tasker which I read was also compatible with Automagic.

The issue is when I scan a tag, I get the error "Nfc Service has stopped". I can then "Open app again". If I do and try again it says "Nfc Service keeps stopping". This is on a new Pixel 2 (non XL), 128GB. I contacted Google about it and they say it's an app issue since Android Beam works. I also has been able to scan the tag using NFC Tools and that works fine. I was also able to input the tag using Automagic.

The issue seems to only be when the NFC tag is read (and I'm not in the app). Btw, it pulls up a list of apps when the tag is scanned (Tasker, Automate, Automagic)... no matter which one I pick, I get that error 100% of the time.

Any ideas on this? It feels like an OS issue to me, not an app issue, but Google disagrees.

Martin

Re: NFC service has stopped - Pixel 2

Post by Martin » 07 Nov 2017 19:59

Hi,

This does seem like an OS issue but one can never be sure. Could you please reproduce the error and then take a bug report and send it to me?
To enable a system bug report you have to open system settings->System->About phone and tap Build number 7 times. This should enable the Developer options in systems settings->System.
Now reproduce the issue and use system settings->System->Developer options->Take bug report/Full report. After a few minutes a notification should be shown to submit the bug report. Please send it to info@automagic4android.com so I can check what's going on.
Are you using a read-only NFC tag or did you write the tag from Automagic?

Regards,
Martin

jaguarwong

Post by jaguarwong » 18 Nov 2017 20:45

Hey, just found your post after searching Google for that 'keeps stopping' error.

In case you still need help, I managed to work around the errors by disabling a system app called 'Tags'.

We have the same phone so no reason it shouldn't work for you too.

So, open settings, go to 'apps & notifications', click the option to 'see all ## notifications' then click the three dots in the top right, select 'show system' then scroll down to 'Tags', open it, and hit disable.

Boscolio

Post by Boscolio » 19 Nov 2017 02:06

I just got a Pixel 2 a few weeks ago and this (exactly as described) happens to me as well. NFC Tasks app works, but Tasker and Automagic do not. They seem to access NFC in a different way. It bums me out.