Notification on statusbar doesn't appear

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

heilong

Notification on statusbar doesn't appear

Post by heilong » 07 Mar 2017 13:09

I have a really weird problem with my SmartUnlock statusbar notifications. I can't be sure when it started, but it did work before.
In my modified SmartUnlock flows, a flow displays an ongoing statusbar notification using one of three actions, depending on the lock status.
1 notification has the title "Device is locked (tap to unlock)", and 2 others have the same title "Device is unlocked (tap to lock)", with different messages.
For some reason, one of those 2 actions doesn't work (e.g. I run the flow manually, it goes to that action, but the notification on statusbar doesn't get updated).

I've created a simple test flow for debugging the issue (attached). If the test flow is executed, nothing happens (no statusbar notification is shown).
If I set the notification title to some other value (e.g. "Test"), it shows. If I change the notification message even a bit, it also shows.
This is really weird.

I'm not sure but I think the problem might be only reproducible if you also have my SmartUnlock flows imported.
http://automagic4android.com/forum/view ... 186#p16186

Can you please look into it?
I'm using Automagic Premium 1.32.0
Attachments
flow_Flow1_20170307_135349.xml
(2.33 KiB) Downloaded 768 times

Martin

Re: Notification on statusbar doesn't appear

Post by Martin » 07 Mar 2017 21:26

The flow works for me and shows the notification (I used 1.32 to test). Does smart lock maybe use the same notification ID in some places so that the notification might get removed/overwritten by another notification?
Could you please enable Debug Log, reproduce the issue and then send the log to me?

Regards,
Martin

heilong

Post by heilong » 08 Mar 2017 08:32

I had debug log already on, there's really nothing interesting in the log at all. Starting executing action, End executing action - no warnings, no errors.
I've sent the logs (as well as the related flows definitions) by email, using the "send log" feature of Automagic.
The issue is reproducible every time. When I manually execute Flow1 flow, no notification appears. In Flow1 I'm using a regular notification with ID set to 50 - different to the ID SmartUnlock uses.
Interestingly, when I click the edit icon on the "Notification on Statusbar: debug" action in this flow, then use the "..." button and select "execute", the notification does appear. It doesn't appear when executing the flow itself.

Martin

Post by Martin » 09 Mar 2017 21:01

Thanks for the log, unfortunately I have no idea what's going on yet and can't reproduce it on my device.
Could it be possible that some of the Smart lock features somehow disable that notifications are shown? Does one of the Smart lock flows set a profile that prevents that the notification is shown or does it change a system setting that could cause this?

Regards,
Martin

heilong

Post by heilong » 10 Mar 2017 06:21

There's nothing about that in SmartUnlock.

Let me reiterate this fact:
- At some point there is a SmartUnlock-related notification in statusbar.
- An unrelated test flow (Flow1) attempts to show a notification with title and message equal to one of SmartUnlock's notifications (not the one currently on statusbar). Flow1 uses a different notification id, and is in not related to SmartUnlock. Nothing happens.
- Changing the title or the message in Flow1 and it does work. So, notifications are enabled and there are no triggers that happen when the notification is shown (well, you saw there's nothing in the log).

Do you think it might be some ROM problem? It would be great, when you have time, if you could put some extra debug logging calls around your statusbar code, and send me a debug version for testing this issue.

Martin

Post by Martin » 12 Mar 2017 20:38

Maybe it's some kind of ROM issue. Maybe the ROM attempts to avoid duplicate notifications or something like that. Btw. what ROM and version are you using?
Did you check that the ROM does not start to group the notifications? You can swipe down on the notification to expand the group. You can also avoid this by explicitly setting the group of the notification (Android 7+).

Can you reproduce this problem with a simple flow that just shows the two notifications with a short sleep in between?

Regards,
Martin

heilong

Post by heilong » 13 Mar 2017 05:42

My ROM is Resurrection Remix (Android 6). Your theory makes sense, on the other hand it all worked fine some months ago, and I haven't updated my ROM.
Swiping down on the notification doesn't do anything, when the problem happens.
I will try to create a simple flow with just two notifications.