Can "Set Alarm" be pointed to a specific app?

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

Scotty

Can "Set Alarm" be pointed to a specific app?

Post by Scotty » 25 Feb 2017 20:33

I have a rooted Nexus 6, running 7.1.1. I use an app named Smart Alarm. However, when I use the Automagic action "Set Alarm", it automatically points to the default alarm (in the Clock app).

Is there any way to redirect Set Alarm to make it use Smart Alarm? Failing that, is there a workaround (perhaps using an intent or broadcast, with neither of which I have much experience)?

BTW, I tried disabling the Clock app, hoping to "force" Automagic to use Smart Alarm - no joy.

Bingwu

Re: Can "Set Alarm" be pointed to a specific app?

Post by Bingwu » 26 Feb 2017 11:46

Hi Scotty!

Also I use the app "Smart Alarm".
When I use the action "Set Alarm", I am asked for the app (default or SmartAlarm).
Perhaps standard is default with you?

Peter
Attachments
Screenshot_20170226-124823-01.jpeg
Screenshot_20170226-124823-01.jpeg (93.82 KiB) Viewed 14408 times

Scotty

Post by Scotty » 26 Feb 2017 17:22

@Peter / Bingwu

Thanks for your reply. I think the problem definitely IS that Smart Alarm isn't my default - the default is Clock; that's why I tried disabling Clock.

However, when I use the action "Set Alarm", I am NOT asked for the app, and I don't see anywhere to set it to Smart Alarm. The only place (in the Automagic Set Alarm action) that I see "default" is on the line labeled "Alarm"; but that allows me to change the SOUND, not the program used.

Could you tell me at what stage the Set Alarm action prompts you for the app?

Bingwu

Post by Bingwu » 26 Feb 2017 19:01

Hello Scotty!

The action "Set alarm" asks for the alarm app at the moment when the flow is started and the action is reached.

For the question, however, it is necessary that no app is defined as a standard. (I have not defined a default alarm app in Android.)

I wish you great success!
Peter
Screenshot_20170226-194200 2.png
Screenshot_20170226-194200 2.png (27.22 KiB) Viewed 14385 times

Scotty

Post by Scotty » 26 Feb 2017 19:17

@Peter / Bingwa

I have seen equivalents to that popup for other apps (e.g, browsers) but was never shown it when I used Automagic Set Alarm. Clearly, though, the problem is that Clock was set as my default. So, I went into the "Apps" section and this time, instead of DISABLING the Clock app (as I had tried before, with no luck), I looked a bit further down the screen, and saw that I could actually REMOVE the default setting from Clock (while still leaving the app itself active).

I did that, then ran the flow - and sure enough, the popup was displayed (with Clock at the top, and Smart Alarm underneath). I chose Smart Alarm (but I wasn't able to say "Always"). The flow continued, and used Smart Alarm to set the desired time.

Then I ran the flow a second time. Once again, I got the popup, but this time with Smart Alarm at the top, and Clock underneath (as shown in the screen grab that you posted) - so, this time I was able to tell Android to always use Smart Alarm.

So the flow is now working perfectly. I'm not sure why disabling clock didn't work (perhaps the OS thought that Clock was still the default - but I'd have expected the OS to display the popup, when it was unable to use Clock). But no matter, all is well now.

Thanks!

Bingwu

Post by Bingwu » 26 Feb 2017 20:19

fine.png
fine.png (2.95 KiB) Viewed 14377 times