Ways to kill Apps

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

seven__

Ways to kill Apps

Post by seven__ » 29 Jan 2017 20:46

Hy,
my question is if somebody can explain how the different ways to kill apps work in particular.

Kill App
Kill App Process
pm disable <package name>
am kill <package name>
am force-stop <package name>

Kill App didnt work for me (Google Maps) but Kill App Process works (Google Maps)
Kill App Process didnt work (blitzer.de) but am force-stop <package name> works (blitzer.de)

Martin

Re: Ways to kill Apps

Post by Martin » 01 Feb 2017 20:53

Hi,

Kill App is the official way supported by Android to kill an app. It's very limited and can only stop apps in background (means it can't kill apps that are currently showing on screen and apps that have foreground priority by showing a persistent notification).

Kill App Process tries to search the PID of the app and issues a regular kill <signal> PID. Android often restarts apps that have been killed this way.

I'm not sure about am kill, I don't use it in general. am force-stop is more or less the same as using the force stop button in the system settings->apps->app. pm disable disables an entire app or a component of the app. I assume that it also issues a force-stop for the app and maybe removes icons on the home screen (not sure, might depend on launcher).

On a rooted device am force-stop is usually the most effective way to kill an app without strange side effects.

Regards,
Martin

viorel.rusu

Post by viorel.rusu » 04 May 2017 06:07

Hi,
I don't start a new topic, but, I have Samsung S7 Android 7 and I want to know if I can enable/disable packages without root permission with Automagic.
Apps like BK Package Disabler (Samsung) can disable packages without root permission.
I used Automagic on an LG rooted to enable/disable packages, but that method don't work on my S7 non rooted.
Is there any possibility to use Automagic for that on S7 non rooted?
Thank you

Martin

Post by Martin » 04 May 2017 19:02

Hi,

It sounds like the app uses an unofficial method to disable packages on Samsung devices. I have no idea how it works but maybe someone else on the forum knows. Since it's a Samsung only feature, it's unlikely that I will add an action for this.

Regards,
Martin

viorel.rusu

Post by viorel.rusu » 21 Jun 2018 12:52

Recently I discovered the requested function (to disable app packages for Samsung Galaxy non rooted) it's working because there exist an working plugin from BK Package Disabler in Automagic. For me, now, the problem is solved.