Read aloud subject of incoming mail?

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

KlaymenDK

Read aloud subject of incoming mail?

Post by KlaymenDK » 19 Jan 2017 21:41

Hi,
I was wondering if Automagic can do this, and if so: how?

I have a little flow for reading aloud incoming text messages if (a) I'm in my car, and (b) the screen is off (meaning I'm not navigating or otherwise using the phone). This seems to work fine.

But I can only find an option to send new mail -- surely, there must be a trigger for when GMail received a new mail?

MURTUMA

Re: Read aloud subject of incoming mail?

Post by MURTUMA » 20 Jan 2017 06:05

Try to think outside of the box when hitting a wall with Automagic. What happens when you receive a new mail? -The app pushes a notidication on your statusbar. Can that be observed? -Yes: trigger
Notification on Statusbar Displayed

Check the variables that the trigger provides and use those in action Speech Output or if needed, use action Script to extract the subject first from the variables.

KlaymenDK

Post by KlaymenDK » 20 Jan 2017 06:09

Yes, I got this same idea late last night, after posting, and was going to reply just that.

I'm still tinkering with which bits are which, but it's going to work.

bogdyro

Post by bogdyro » 22 Jan 2017 07:11

Hi. I'm using the same trigger to read aloud the subject of the email. The only problem is that if multiple emails arrive the notification text won't contain their titles anymore. Clearing the notification each time would be the solution but that feature isn't added yet in automatic.

KlaymenDK

Post by KlaymenDK » 22 Jan 2017 09:10

bogdyro wrote:Hi. I'm using the same trigger to read aloud the subject of the email. The only problem is that if multiple emails arrive the notification text won't contain their titles anymore.
Oh right, I hadn't considered that consequence. In any case, I can't seem to get it to work. What did you do?

Here's what I did:
- Trigger: "Notification on Statusbar Displayed" for package "com.google.android.gm" and text filter matches regex ".*" (without the quotes). Also, I'm ignoring ongoing events.
- Action: "Speech Output" with text "{title} writes, {content_title}, {notification_text}".
I don't even think my flow is being triggered, so I haven't yet determined whether my action works... :?

bogdyro

Post by bogdyro » 22 Jan 2017 12:12

Try this flow. Check the log to see if it triggers
Attachments
flow_Gmail_20170122_141010.xml
(4.9 KiB) Downloaded 958 times