Actions during Device Idle/Doze Mode

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

Wibbly

Actions during Device Idle/Doze Mode

Post by Wibbly » 04 Feb 2016 11:50

There are both Automagic trigger and condition options for this. If the flow continues as a result of Doze mode being enabled, will some actions not work (because the phone is in Doze mode and has stopped lots of things running)? For example, should I be able to

- Use Speech Output?
- Disable Bluetooth or Wifi?

I don't have Automagic set to show its icon on the status bar, but have whitelisted it not to doze...

Martin

Re: Actions during Device Idle/Doze Mode

Post by Martin » 05 Feb 2016 19:40

The documentation about the doze-mode is lacking so I can not really say how an Android device will behave exactly when Doze is active.
The whitelist under System settings->Battery->Menu->Battery optimization is only relevant for 'App Standby' but not 'Doze', which seems confusing to me.
It's probably best to test if the two actions work reliably on your device but turning off the notification icon of Automagic is not recommended since it can cause reliability problems even when Doze is not active.

Wibbly

Post by Wibbly » 05 Feb 2016 20:10

Martin wrote:but turning off the notification icon of Automagic is not recommended since it can cause reliability problems even when Doze is not active.
If Show status icon is unticked, but Icon in expanded status bar is ticked, is that as good?

Martin

Post by Martin » 07 Feb 2016 19:10

No, Show status icon needs to be ticked to let Automagic run reliably.
If you don't reboot your system often, you can also let the setting ticked, open the notification drawer, long-click the Automagic notification, press (i) to switch to the settings page, activate Block all (which removes the icon), deactivate Block all (to ensure that new notifications can be posted by Automagic again). The status icon will be hidden until your device is rebooted but Automagic should run reliable.

Wibbly

Post by Wibbly » 07 Feb 2016 20:37

Thanks

kintrupf

Post by kintrupf » 08 Feb 2016 10:41

Martin wrote:No, Show status icon needs to be ticked to let Automagic run reliably.
If you don't reboot your system often, you can also let the setting ticked, open the notification drawer, long-click the Automagic notification, press (i) to switch to the settings page, activate Block all (which removes the icon), deactivate Block all (to ensure that new notifications can be posted by Automagic again). The status icon will be hidden until your device is rebooted but Automagic should run reliable.
I have a flow that automates this on every Automagic startup (or reboot in most cases) :D
Needs a rooted device, but works on KitKat 4.4 and Marshmallow.

Wibbly

Post by Wibbly » 08 Feb 2016 11:17

kintrupf wrote: I have a flow that automates this on every Automagic startup (or reboot in most cases) :D
Needs a rooted device, but works on KitKat 4.4 and Marshmallow.
For non rooted devices I guess this can be done via ControlUI, first waiting for the user to be present...

Wibbly

Post by Wibbly » 08 Feb 2016 11:22

Martin wrote:No, Show status icon needs to be ticked to let Automagic run reliably.
Only out of curiousity, that there are options in this area presumably means there are use cases where this is best left not ticked?

And even when it is ticked the icon can be hidden from the main status bar by also ticking Icon in expanded status bar. This is what I meant above. That, presumably is ok as Show status icon remains ticked :-)

Martin

Post by Martin » 08 Feb 2016 20:12

The option in Automagic is just there because there was no way to move the icon to the expanded status bar on older versions of Android (<4.1) so the icon was always visible on the statubar. Some users did not like this at all so I added the option.
Showing the icon in the expanded status bar is perfectly ok and should not have any negative effect on reliability.

Wibbly

Post by Wibbly » 08 Feb 2016 20:26

Many thanks for the explanantion Martin