Location by wifi ssid

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

kadkam

Location by wifi ssid

Post by kadkam » 22 Oct 2015 16:32

I want to execute an action if a specific SSID is detected (only detected, not connected).
Which trigger I must choose ?

Otherwise how I can execute an action by location use only wifi? (no gps, no phone cells)

With "phone cell GSM" trigger I have problem every 1-2 month; I often reconfigure the number of cell that change.

Thanks

Martin

Re: Location by wifi ssid

Post by Martin » 22 Oct 2015 18:42

Hi,

You could periodically check condition WiFi Available to detect if certain networks are available.

Regards,
Martin

kadkam

Post by kadkam » 22 Oct 2015 19:16

"periodic location update" trigger before is required?

MURTUMA

Post by MURTUMA » 22 Oct 2015 19:25

Periodic timer is what martin meant. It runs "periodically" and the interval can be costomised.

kadkam

Post by kadkam » 05 Nov 2015 13:35

If the smartphone is in standby the "periodic location update" trigger (or condition "location") is not detected. How I can resolve?

MURTUMA

Post by MURTUMA » 05 Nov 2015 20:10

Periodic timer trigger and then check the location with appropriate condition.

mcyber

Post by mcyber » 12 Nov 2015 12:16

kadkam wrote:I want to execute an action if a specific SSID is detected (only detected, not connected).
Which trigger I must choose ?

Otherwise how I can execute an action by location use only wifi? (no gps, no phone cells)

With "phone cell GSM" trigger I have problem every 1-2 month; I often reconfigure the number of cell that change.

Thanks
You can also use trigger "Wifi Scan Result Available" and forget about anything else, timing included. Check is done automatically every 3-5 minutes in background, regardless of screen state, and provides a list of available access points via "access_points" variable (see trigger documentation). Then, you may check if the AP you look at is in the list, and take your actions accordingly. Note that, for this feature to work, it is not requested to enable wifi; instead you must allow continuous scanning of wifi in advanced wifi settings (Android 4.3+). This also benefits your position detection and update, when GPS is off.
Battery consumption is irrelevant.

Wibbly

Post by Wibbly » 12 Nov 2015 13:49

mcyber wrote: You can also use trigger "Wifi Scan Result Available" and forget about anything else, timing included. Check is done automatically every 3-5 minutes in background, regardless of screen state, and provides a list of available access points via "access_points" variable (see trigger documentation). Then, you may check if the AP you look at is in the list, and take your actions accordingly. Note that, for this feature to work, it is not requested to enable wifi; instead you must allow continuous scanning of wifi in advanced wifi settings (Android 4.3+). This also benefits your position detection and update, when GPS is off.
Battery consumption is irrelevant.
Any idea if having Continuous Scanning allowed is actually more power efficient than leaving WiFi on (when no APs you have in your normal list of APs to connect to automatically are available)?

kadkam

Post by kadkam » 12 Nov 2015 15:23

I'm using Periodic Timer Inexact with Location update but the phone have problem to detect new position and utilize "passive" ... some time is ok, other times no.

Now I will try your Wifi Scan Result Available solution.

kadkam

Post by kadkam » 13 Nov 2015 13:56

ehm how I can write the condition
"if access_point contains myssid do it" ?