Known Issues on Android 6

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

Martin

Known Issues on Android 6

Post by Martin » 21 Aug 2015 19:07

Hi,

This post lists known issues of Automagic on Android 6.
  • WiFi scan result list is not available on some devices when GPS and/or location is turned off in system settings: Issue 185370
  • The new device idle/doze mode probably causes many apps like Automagic to not work properly/reliable anymore in the background when the device is not charging and the device is not moved for some time (~1h). Adding Automagic to System settings->Battery->Menu->Battery optimization: "Ignoring battery optimization" does not help since it does not affect the device idle/doze mode (according to Google by design). This means that periodic timers and other periodic flows might stop working or at best are executed once every 15m as soon as the device enters the idle/doze mode.
    Please star this issue to let Google know about the importance of this issue (please don't add comments to the issue).
    I have added some new options in the latest EAP-1.29 to time-based triggers to let the triggers work better in device idle/doze mode. I've added documentation with a description about the device idle/doze mode and some tips and workarounds.
    Workaround ideas: execute action Turn Screen On periodically (about once an hour or on trigger Device Idle/Doze Mode: On) to wake the device and to avoid the device idle/doze mode completely. The new action Exit Device Idle/Doze Mode can be used on rooted devices to exit the new mode without turning the screen on. Also check out the example commands in action Execute Root Command to play with the new device idle/doze mode (see dumpsys deviceidle etc.).
  • there are some internal bugs in Android M that can cause Automagic to crash. Please send bugreports to info@automagic4android.com whenever such a crash occurs so I can search for workarounds.
    There's one particular nasty crash that happens from time to time when using user interfaces containing lists. Accessibility services might be involved in some way. If you happen to run into this problem, let me know in what part of Automagic you've encountered this issue and whether you have accessibility services enabled or not. Thanks!
  • The new permission model of Android M leads to some unexpected problems for some of Googles own Android apps. If you want to compose mails with attachments via Gmail (e.g. send flows from Automagic), Gmail might not ask to grant the permission to access the file but it simply rejects the attachment. In such cases you can go to system settings->Apps->Gmail and grant permission Storage and then compose the mail one more time.
  • Trigger Assist no longer works on Android M since Google replaced this feature with Now on Tap: You can change the assist app to Automagic in System settings->Apps->Cog wheel (upper right)->Assist & Voice input->Assist App (see this post).
  • Action Set Keyguard State does not work anymore on Android M. No workaround known.
  • [fixed in 1.29] Actions Set GPS State and Set Network Location State don't work on Android 6 anymore.
  • [fixed in 1.29] Most root actions that change system settings don't work anymore since there have been some internal changes to the permission handling on Android 6
  • [fixed in 1.29] Action Set System Locale does not work anymore since there have been some internal changes to the permission handling on Android 6.
  • [fixed in 1.29] Action Set Mobile Network Mode (2G/3G) does not work anymore on Android 6.
Thanks & Regards,
Martin

dragon

Re: Known Issues on Android 6 (developer preview)

Post by dragon » 21 Sep 2015 00:03

I added a star. :)

Martin

Post by Martin » 07 Oct 2015 18:26

Most workarounds for root actions implemented in the EAP for DP3 are not required anymore in the final version so I will roll back the unnecessary changes in the next EAP-build which will cause the root actions to fail on DP3.

ms1hdf

Post by ms1hdf » 16 Oct 2015 11:42

The Assist Trigger is no longer working with the new Home Button Shortcut in Marshmallow.

Martin

Post by Martin » 16 Oct 2015 19:40

Thanks for mentioning, I'll update the list.
Unfortunately nothing I can do about this. I'll keep the trigger around since other apps could still send the intent or maybe Google decides to reinstate this feature in a future version.

mathieson

Re: Known Issues on Android 6

Post by mathieson » 02 Jan 2016 15:43

Martin,

Hello. I have been using Automagic some time now on android 6. There is something funny going on. I was hoping perhaps you could send me some way to trace the problem. After a few days of Automagic doing its thing as expected (I have 16 or so flows) it seems to start running and using up the battery very quickly.

The device gets very hot and Automagic uses up all the battery of the device.

I stop the service and the problem stops, but when I restart the service the problem starts again. I need to restart the device to solve the issue. Any ideas what it may be? Automagic seems to be working as normal during these times, except for the fact its using so much battery.

Cant seem to figure it out.

Thanks!

Martin

Post by Martin » 04 Jan 2016 21:01

Hi,

Maybe a flow is running in an endless loop. Could you please enable Debug Log in the preferences of Automagic, wait until the problem happens again and then send the log to me (menu->Manage->Log, menu->Send Log).
Please also include the flows when sending the log so I can check if there's a flow with a potential endless loop.

Regards,
Martin

EBen

Post by EBen » 08 Jan 2016 22:41

Hi Martin,

I use Automagic on Android 6 (to be exact, I am on official cm13 nightly from 8th January 16 for jfltexx device).
This cm13 ROM uses Trebuchet launcher. Every time I trigger a flow via a Shortcut (tried several different ones), I get an on screen error message that trebuchet was stopped. Android Logcat and Automagic log both don't comprise any error message.

Edit: This has been a cm13 issue, has nothing to do with Automagic. Sorry for Posting here, you can delete this post if you want.
Reference: https://github.com/cyanogenmod/android_ ... 5e351288cb

Best regards and thanks for your excellent service,
Erik

Martin

Post by Martin » 09 Jan 2016 19:24

Hi Erik,

Thanks for posting! Such posts are a great source of information for other users running into the same issue so I'm not going to delete it.

Regards,
Martin

mick64

Post by mick64 » 01 Mar 2016 16:57

Since my Galaxy S6 edge upgraded to android version 6, my NFC tag trigger has stopped working. Is there anything I can do to sort this, or is this trigger no longer usable?