Entering location triggering repeatedly

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

meyerweb

Entering location triggering repeatedly

Post by meyerweb » 19 Oct 2014 16:39

I've created a flow based on a trigger of Location entering [my home address], with a radius of 100 (meters, feet?), using the Modern method. With the phone sitting on a table next to me, not moving at all, this flow gets triggered periodically. I thought these triggers executed only when the condition changed, and not at any other time.

Do I misunderstand how this works?

Martin

Re: Entering location triggering repeatedly

Post by Martin » 19 Oct 2014 17:38

Hi,

The radius of the trigger is in meters. The regular location trigger should not repeatedly trigger when you stay in one location. However the detection of the location is done using the Google Play services when you use the modern option and it's not well known or documented how exactly the location is determined in this case. Maybe it uses only the inaccurate cell tower in your place when it does not know the location of the WiFi access points in your surroundings. Sporadic switching of cell towers could detect a completely different location, like 1 km in the wrong place if you are unlucky. Increasing the radius could help when the cell towers are used or Google has no good data available for your location.
Please ensure that WiFi is enabled or 'Scanning always available' is enabled in the advanced WiFi settings (system settings->WiFi->Menu->Advanced). Sometimes Google Play services are updated in the background and stop working properly. Rebooting the phone can help in this case.

Regards,
Martin

Bushmills

Post by Bushmills » 19 Oct 2014 19:09

Network reconnection could be another possible reason, if location service uses WLAN ssids, and obtains the corresponding coordinates over 3G. A location with mediocre 3G reception may repeatedly switch between 2G and 3G, causing disconnects temporarily.
Keeping last entered geofence in a global variable, compared against new geofence, helps filtering such conditions. Once you also want to respond to really (physically) exiting from an entered geofence, such simple filtering can become rather tricky though.

meyerweb

Post by meyerweb » 19 Oct 2014 23:55

WiFi is turned on, so I don't think the Allow WiFi scanning option would make a difference. I've never been able to connect to more than one tower from here, but the signal is fairly weak, although it appears I get an LTE connection. And since it's been triggered at least a dozen times today, I doubt it's because Google Play service is being updated. It sometimes triggers just a few minutes after the last trigger, sometimes an hour or more.

But I'll try increasing the radius and see if that changes anything. If not I'll try switching to the old method and see what happens.

natong

Post by natong » 01 Sep 2015 04:03

I faced the same problem. Since geofence can be report 3m - 3km (up to google and surrounding). We should set radius as width as we can accept. The best value is equal to cell tower's radius (~500m-1km). That why Llama use only cell tower method and stable. I also add an addition condition. If home or work wifi connected then disable Location Trigger flow. Maybe it will save a little power too.