"Sleep" hangs - root permissions fail

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

Serum_114

"Sleep" hangs - root permissions fail

Post by Serum_114 » 18 Jul 2014 16:43

Hi,

I haven't seen any other reports of this issue on the forums... It's happening on both my Nexus 7 2012 and my Nexus 5, running Android 4.4.4. The two devices run completely different flows but have the same - rare - issue. Since late June/early August, every few days, I discover that a 5s, 10s or 1m (only 3 durations in my flows) sleep action has hung. This is sometimes but not always accompanied by all root permissions failing. Stopping the hung flow resumes normal operation, although twice, I've been forced to reboot my device entirely as the flow wouldn't stop. I also get false notifications of root permissions failing once in a while but they aren't failing.

Three things changed around the dates I began noticing these issues. 1) Android 4.4.4 came out. 2) Automagic was updated. 3) SuperSU was updated.

A fourth thing that changed is that I discovered it was possible to prevent flows from running multiple instances and force them to queue, skip or stop. I thought it worth mentioning but I doubt this is related because the problem has occurred on flows that weren't modified.

Has anyone experienced these problems?

Martin

Re: "Sleep" hangs - root permissions fail

Post by Martin » 19 Jul 2014 06:50

Hi,

This has not happened on my devices yet. Could you please turn on Debug log and Log to SD card in the preferences of Automagic until this happened again and then send the log to me (menu->Manage->Log, menu->Send Log: to info@automagic4android.com, please also include the flows).
Are you using ROM modifications like Xposed, power saving apps/tools or security tools that could interfere with Automagic?

Regards,
Martin

Serum_114

Post by Serum_114 » 19 Jul 2014 11:41

Hi Martin,

I'll do as you've requested. I do not use Xposed or any power saving software. I do use Sophos A/V.

ZSasha

Post by ZSasha » 20 Jul 2014 22:53

I can confirm the same thing happened to me as well.
I use stock Samsung S4 (4.3) and when I launched a flow manually I could see the "Sleep 2seconds" block stayed red/active for much longer than 2 seconds.
I had to manually stop the flow.
Changing option (make device active) helped but the next time it worked fine without that option too.
Unfortunately did not have debug log active at that time.

Serum_114

Post by Serum_114 » 21 Jul 2014 01:33

The flows it occurs on run in excess of 100 times a day without issue. I frequently go days and days with flawless operation before experiencing an issue.

angelatwork

Post by angelatwork » 21 Jul 2014 20:01

This has possibly happened to me too lately on my stock Samsung S4. Since I have been juggling between two S3, which I am making flows for, I cannot really say more than some flows with sleep actions have hung. At least once I had to restart the phone to get out of it. (no effect with stop flow. and other times app saying it has run so many times that it closed itself. I have not been paying attention so I cannot be more specific.
Best regards,
AngelAtwOrk

ZSasha

Post by ZSasha » 22 Jul 2014 01:45

I think it would be good to have some kind of "maximum runtime" parameter per flow which defines how many minutes a flow is allowed to be active.

ZSasha

Post by ZSasha » 22 Jul 2014 01:45

angelatwork wrote:This has possibly happened to me too lately on my stock Samsung S4. Since I have been juggling between two S3, which I am making flows for, I cannot really say more than some flows with sleep actions have hung. At least once I had to restart the phone to get out of it. (no effect with stop flow. and other times app saying it has run so many times that it closed itself. I have not been paying attention so I cannot be more specific.
Did you try to stop automagic service before doing phone reboot?

Serum_114

Post by Serum_114 » 22 Jul 2014 02:21

ZSasha wrote:
angelatwork wrote:This has possibly happened to me too lately on my stock Samsung S4. Since I have been juggling between two S3, which I am making flows for, I cannot really say more than some flows with sleep actions have hung. At least once I had to restart the phone to get out of it. (no effect with stop flow. and other times app saying it has run so many times that it closed itself. I have not been paying attention so I cannot be more specific.
Did you try to stop automagic service before doing phone reboot?
On the two occasions where I was forced to reboot my phone stopping the Automagic service didn't resolve root permissions failing so I had to reboot. I should mention that there were also instances where just running the script again manually cleared all problems.

angelatwork

Post by angelatwork » 25 Jul 2014 13:11

Sorry Martin, I don't remember.
Best regards,
AngelAtwOrk