HowTo trigger Wifi Direct ?

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

BoBo

HowTo trigger Wifi Direct ?

Post by BoBo » 31 May 2014 16:07

Hi,
a moment ago I've discovered Androids Wifi Direct!
It looks that Automagic don't offer a trigger to enable/connect Wifi Direct :(

Any known workaround?

BoBo 8-)

Martin

Re: HowTo trigger Wifi Direct ?

Post by Martin » 02 Jun 2014 16:53

Hi,

Honestly I have never used WiFi Direct yet. I add it to the todo-list to check what's possible with official APIs.
What kind of features of WiFi Direct are you using?

Regards,
Martin

BoBo

Post by BoBo » 02 Jun 2014 19:46

Well, after I've connected smartphone & tablet that way for the first time, it looked to me that the service has created on both of it a folder named "ShareViaWifi". That way it seems not necessarry to use Google Drive/Dropbox/OneDrive/.. to sync files on both devices (eg to transfer flows).

To be able to create an auto-connect shared folder using Automagic would be a really "nice-to-have"-feature *bettel-smiley*

Share Files using WiFi Direct on Android | WiFiShoot | Superbeam (uses NFC as well)

Draxxx

Post by Draxxx » 04 Jul 2014 09:32

Wifi Direct is used to transfer files from one phone to another via Wifi P2P.
It is a great feature. I use it all the time. I came here to bump this request, as
I use Wifi Direct alot, and was trying to make a widget to toggle this on and off,
but at the moment can't.
Cheers!

BoBo

Post by BoBo » 15 Jul 2014 08:14

Bump :|

Any chance to get a WIFIDirect connect/disconnect : Action ??
It's definitley worth to have a look at it, as it shrinks the time dramatically a data transfer needs between two Android devices.
Thx for listening 8-)

Martin

Post by Martin » 15 Jul 2014 16:18

It's on my list of features under consideration but I did not yet have the time to check what kind of functions the Android API offers so it probably still takes quite some time...

BoBo

Post by BoBo » 28 Jul 2014 18:48

Wi-Fi peer-to-peer (P2P) allows Android 4.0 (API level 14) or later devices with the appropriate hardware to connect directly to each other via Wi-Fi without an intermediate access point (Android's Wi-Fi P2P framework complies with the Wi-Fi Alliance's Wi-Fi Direct™ certification program). Using these APIs, you can discover and connect to other devices when each device supports Wi-Fi P2P, then communicate over a speedy connection across distances much longer than a Bluetooth connection. This is useful for applications that share data among users, such as a multiplayer game or a photo sharing application.

The Wi-Fi P2P APIs consist of the following main parts
The Wi-Fi peer-to-peer (P2P) APIs allow applications to connect to nearby devices without needing to connect to a network or hotspot (Android's Wi-Fi P2P framework complies with the Wi-Fi Direct™ certification program). Wi-Fi P2P allows your application to quickly find and interact with nearby devices, at a range beyond the capabilities of Bluetooth.

This lesson shows you how to find and connect to nearby devices using Wi-Fi P2P.