Send selected text to Evernote with 1 keystroke

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

Graham

Send selected text to Evernote with 1 keystroke

Post by Graham » 28 Dec 2013 17:05

From my tablet I can send selected text to Clippersync using "Clipper" by just hitting "copy", and then access that text later on my laptop, but I would rather send the text directly to Evernote, because in Evernote it is much easier to edit and organise. Clearly after selecting the text on the tablet I can hit "more" and then "share" and then "Evernote"... that works fine...... but three keystrokes! Since AUTOMAGIC can use "clipboard changed" as a trigger, is it possible to make a flow that would respond to my hitting "copy" (only one keystroke) by sending that clipping to Evernote....... or even to Dropbox or Googledrive. I am new to Automagic, and cannot see how to do it! Any help??

Martin

Re: Send selected text to Evernote with 1 keystroke

Post by Martin » 03 Jan 2014 15:56

Hi,

You can do this only in a rather technical way using an action Start Activity by sending an intent to the Evernote app:
-trigger Clipboard Changed
-action Copy Text From Clipboard: to variable clip_data
-action Start Activity

Set following properties in the start activity action:
-Action: android.intent.action.SEND
-Data Mime Type: text/plain
-Explicit Component: checked, select com.evernote as the package name (leave class name empty)
-Extras: putString("android.intent.extra.TEXT", clip_data);

Evernote developer documentation with some other interesting functions:
Evernote intent documentation

You can upload the clipboard data directly to Dropbox (or Google Drive) by writing the text to a file first and then upload that file:
-trigger Clipboard Changed
-action Copy Text From Clipboard: to variable clip_data
-action Write to File: {clip_data} to /storage/emulated/0/clipboard.txt (overwrite)
-action Dropbox Upload File: /storage/emulated/0/clipboard.txt to /clipboard.txt

Regards,
Martin

Graham

Re: Send selected text to Evernote with 1 keystroke

Post by Graham » 05 Jan 2014 14:54

Thanks! I should have tried harder before asking for help.
As you say, it is very easy using Googledrive or Dropbox, but in fact it is equally easy using Evernote if one uses the facility for emailing to Evernote (using the "personal_code"@m.evernote.com format), even specifying in the subject line which notebook the clipping is sent to.

What a great app Automagic is!
Thanks!