New Android 4.4 Filesystem integration.

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

lailoken

New Android 4.4 Filesystem integration.

Post by lailoken » 16 Nov 2013 18:26

If I'm not mistaken, Google is adding support for different cloud providers for integration of filesystems. Basically allowing (most) file dialogs to load/save from these providers as it would a local real file. I see previously Google Drive access has been added explicitly, and am just wondering how the road forward will look regarding this? Surely eventually one does not need to have custom providers and it will all just be handled natively?

PS: I'm talking about this: https://developer.android.com/guide/top ... vider.html

Martin

Re: New Android 4.4 Filesystem integration.

Post by Martin » 17 Nov 2013 09:40

The new storage access framework sounds very interesting.
I have to check this out but it seems that the user has to go through a user interface component first to select a file, the app then gets the permission to access this single file. I hope there's also a way to recursively access all the files contained in a folder. I would actually prefer to use this framework over the different APIs of the cloud providers I'm currently using but this requires that all the required operations like list, read, write and checking metadata (file size, hash of the content) are supported.