Phone cell GSM with glob pattern *

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

kintrupf

Phone cell GSM with glob pattern *

Post by kintrupf » 10 Sep 2013 11:46

If I use the trigger "Phone cell GSM" with option "Connected" set and the glob pattern * in the CID field I would expect that the trigger fires each and every time the phone connects to any GSM cell, even if it only alternates between two cells.

Instead the trigger never fires. It only seems to work if there are "real" CIDs in the CID field.

Martin

Re: Phone cell GSM with glob pattern *

Post by Martin » 10 Sep 2013 17:17

The cells listed in this trigger are used to define an area of interest. The trigger executes the flow once when you are connected to one of the listed cells but not when you switch between the cells in the list.
The same should be true when you enter a glob pattern. As long as you switch between cells matching the pattern, it will not execute the flow.

kintrupf

Post by kintrupf » 11 Sep 2013 07:58

Martin wrote:The cells listed in this trigger are used to define an area of interest. The trigger executes the flow once when you are connected to one of the listed cells but not when you switch between the cells in the list.
The same should be true when you enter a glob pattern. As long as you switch between cells matching the pattern, it will not execute the flow.
Hmm, sounds somewhat logical, but is not what one would normally expected. Can you add an option to fire the trigger each time a change is detected, even if the listed cells still match?

I want to use this trigger to automatically turn on bluetooth when I'm not near my home or work. I could have it fired once when I enter these areas, but it won't fire when I leave since the pattern no longer matches.

Right now I use a periodic timer to "manually" execute the flow every minute. This works and updates a global "location" variable based on the cell ID to either "home", "work" or "unknown", but I guess it's using more battery than needed this way...

Martin

Post by Martin » 11 Sep 2013 16:57

Wouldn't it be possible to use the option Disconnected to detect when you leave home or work?

kintrupf

Post by kintrupf » 13 Sep 2013 10:22

Martin wrote:Wouldn't it be possible to use the option Disconnected to detect when you leave home or work?
Yes, I thought of this, too. But this won't help me if I am somewhere else (e.g. supermarket) and drive on. In this case no cells would be triggered and Bluetooth wouldn't be switched on automatically.

standalonescript

Post by standalonescript » 13 Sep 2013 22:25

I did what you are describing in the past with Llama but when I switched to AA, I started using location based instead of cell tower.

You could create a "moat" of known towers around your home and work but that will require you to physically travel around "building" it.

If there were a way to say connected to NOT these towers, that would do what you want.

kintrupf

Post by kintrupf » 16 Sep 2013 09:03

standalonescript wrote: If there were a way to say connected to NOT these towers, that would do what you want.
That is exactly what I would like to do. Have the trigger fire whenever the connected cell changes and then execute some code to decide what to do.

pat2net

Post by pat2net » 16 Sep 2013 10:49

Could you use your home and work wifi (disconect) to activate bluetooth?

kintrupf

Post by kintrupf » 17 Sep 2013 12:15

pat2net wrote:Could you use your home and work wifi (disconect) to activate bluetooth?
It would not work if I start somewhere else where I don't have WiFi, for example after a stop at the supermarket.

What I want to do is actually quite simple:
- 1) when a CHANGE in cell towers is detected and Bluetooth is disconnected and I'm NOT within a predefined list of cells (e.g. home, work, girl friend) switch on bluetooth.
- 2) if not connected after one or two minutes switch off Bluetooth.

Part 2) is easy and works fine, but part 1) does not because the GSM cell trigger won't fire :cry:

standalonescript

Post by standalonescript » 17 Sep 2013 12:30

Creating a "moat" is a viable workaround, it just requires some legwork.

Go create a new group of towers (perimeter of towers around your home [and work])
When you go from home to home-moat enable Bluetooth.
When you encounter home or work moat, disable Bluetooth.
You will probably need a control global variable.